The MAIN PANEL on TECH DISRUPTS DEMOCRACY: With Data & Innovation!|
MEET THE PANELISTS
1. David Sorin, Partner & Chair, Venture Capital & Emerging Growth Companies Practice, McCarter & English, Chairman, Disruptive Technologists
2. Richard Hill, Founder & CEO, VoteOurVoice
3. Micah Sifry, Co-founder & President, Civic Hall
4. Jess Riegel, Founder, Motivote & Social Innovation Fellow, StartingBloc
5. Bruce Bachenheimer, Clinical Professor & Director Entrepreneur Lab, Pace University
I. Democracy & Tech How data & technology can help improve democracy
A. What technology innovations can improve the way we engage in our democracy?
B. Voting machine
C. Online voting & apps
1. How do we ensure the integrity of online voting?
2. Does innovation make voting more or less inclusive?
D. How are politicians using tech to influence us?
A. Is it enough to register people to vote?
B. Do voter registration organizations have an agenda?
C. Alternatives to down-ballot voting
A. What data is collected & how is it protected?
B. What data is sold to politicians?
C. Using data vs emotion to make voting decisions
1. How can data assist in voting?
2. How do we get people to change the way they think about voting?
3. Will people use data if it conflicts with what they want to do emotionally?
D. Why is political performance data important?
IV. Politician accountability
A. Data transparency facts vs fake data/voting information.
B. What role can tech play in helping people understand what news/information is credible?
V. Educating voters
A. Differences between informed voters vs down-ballot voters
B. How does our democracy operate now, & how can we improve it to be more efficient & inclusive?
C. State & local issues & elections have the greatest effect on the lives of people, however, most people do not understand the impact
D. How are people of color affected greater than the majority population?
E. What is the process for helping people understand the power of improving how democracy works?
VI. Democracy & activism
A. What influence has activism had on how democracy is changing?
B. How does uninformed voting hurt society?
A. How can we get more people engaged in their democracy?
B. Who are the most loyal voters & why?
Moderator: Oliver Christie, Futurist & AI Expert
MC: Sep DiMeglio, Premier Developer Consultant, Microsoft
Jeffrey Paul, Ziotag: advanced deep-tagging.
Fireside Chat to follow one week later in January: Please send in your questions beforehand directly to the organizer on this Meetup page or to:
** EXTRA Special Thanks to our Disruptive Technologists Think Tank Council & Events Sponsor-Partner: McCarter & English & David Sorin, Partner & Chair - Venture Capital & Emerging Growth Company Practices
** Thanks to Microsoft Reactor #MSFTReactor
** Thanks to Hint Water
** Thanks to Bernie Leone
** Thanks to Scott Moss