Who we are:
Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming the journey of learning by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour, & many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
- Strong storytelling ability: make complicated concepts accessible & engaging. You will knit together the personal stories of the masters with the course lessons, making content that is intimate, entertaining, & most importantly educational.
- Strong creative development skills, including writing pitches & communicating visual concepts.
- Experience with extensive long-form documentary storytelling & adherence to journalistic standards. Documentary television experience also a plus.
- Experience conducting interviews on set.
- Strong sense of narrative & ability to craft a compelling cohesive structure.
- Individual must be extremely well-organized, precise, & detail-oriented. Must be able to prioritize tasks while maintaining a calm & professional demeanor in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to work independently, as part of a team & be cooperative & flexible, remaining cool under pressure & able to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Experience working in post with archivally-driven documentaries. Familiarity with the licensing process, understanding how archival deepens storytelling.
- Strong experience in working with editors & giving notes.
- Experience working with interview-driven content & creating paper edits (required).
- Comfortable working with music libraries - choosing a creative direction & working with the editor to execute.
- Ability to articulate a vision for graphics & give clear & concise notes to graphic designers.
- Experience in film or video development, production, & post/editorial end-to-end. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere a plus.
- Ability to lead & drive direction & accountability to large teams, including editors, junior creatives.
- A track record of owning & launching successful projects, preferably long-form or television documentary content.
- Strong commitment to quality & ability to adhere to an existing style & brand.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own the creation & production of multiple classes at a time under the (typically one in production & one in post) under the guidance of a Creative Director or the Head of Content, interfacing with internal teams as well as the instructor to produce the best product possible
- Conduct in-depth research, write pitch materials, & develop & communicate a clear creative vision for filming (including a visual deck & clear shooting plan.)
- Work with researchers & subject matter experts to craft curriculums for a specific instructor
- Own the post-production of a class(es) under the guidance of a Creative Director & in collaboration with an editor.
- Create paper edits from transcripts, review stringouts, communicate direction to editors, & address internal & external feedback.
- Develop an archival vision for the class, conduct archival research, & direct editor on how to incorporate the archive.
- Provide direction on music & graphics, including clear concise notes.
- Generate additional deliverables for classes such as marketing selects & lesson descriptions.
- One or more of the following: sample development pitch materials; paper edit; video work that illustrates the ability to craft a narrative (to be added as "portfolio" within the application)
- 7-10 years experience in long-form, non-scripted film or television production (pre-through-post)
- Bachelors degree (we love lifelong learners, so advanced degrees are a plus!)
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Please note that the Producer role is a temporary position for project-based work.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.