Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, & were expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus Consumer Team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help our users find the car theyre looking for as efficiently as possible. See your solutions impact millions of global users every day as you seek challenges such as:
- Improve search experience & performance for millions of users across millions of cars globally
- Make the car shopping experience enjoyable & more transparent
- Help users discover the right car for them
- Enable new ways of buying cars, such as buying online & having your car delivered
- Build out platforms to enable us to iterate faster & respond to our consumers quicker
What You'll Do:
- Work in a multi-functional team with data analysts, product managers, & of course, other engineers.
- Participate in whiteboard sessions & design conversations on engineering the best solution to the challenges at hand.
- Test out new insights with novel & quick experiments.
- Write clean, well-tested, & efficient code.
- Iterate rapidly & deploy changes daily.
- Collaborate with & be mentored by seasoned engineers.
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring & improving software.
- Have fun!
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of experience; ideally in fast paced environments; we are pushing new code daily
- Expert level knowledge of Java (preferred) or similar language.
- Extensive experience with concurrency, multi-threading, web applications & event driven architectures
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms & complexity analysis
- The ability to iterate & ship ideas quickly, with loose direction.
- Able to work across teams with both technical & non-technical partners
- Willingness to work outside your comfort zones, to evaluate & work with new technologies
- Data-driven when making decisions
- Biased towards action & automation
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, & JS
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal & professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts & government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions & needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees & their families, our customers & visitors, & the community at large.