Gimlet media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes newly-launched, critically-acclaimed shows like Homecoming, Heavyweight, & Science Vs. Were also home to perennial favorites Reply All & StartUp. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.Were proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
Reply All is a bi-weekly podcast where we venture into the depths of the internet to find the strangest, funniest, most surprising stories that cant be true, but are. You can listen to different examples of scoring in our episodes here & here.
We are looking for someone to help score episodes & expand the sound of our show. Someone who is excited about the kinds of stories we tell, wants to work closely with us to get to know the voice of the show, & is interested in working collaboratively, on deadline. This is an entry-level position, you will work mostly with our music supervisor & the producers of the show. The kind of person who would be successful at this job is one who is skilled at thinking about how musical choices affect the emotional arc of an entire episode.
What You'll Do
- Score early drafts of stories with music from our music library
- Take feedback from our music supervisor on those drafts
- Assist the music supervisor in getting episodes fully scored & out the door
- Compose original pieces for the show
- Work with our music supervisor on the sonic vision for bigger, more ambitious episodes
- Organize & expand our music library
- Work with outside composers & instrumentalists on other pieces for scoring
What You Have:
- Experience in scoring narrative projects (film, radio, or podcasts)
- Experience working collaboratively under deadlines
- Proficiency in ProTools
- Composition experience
Additional Questions (Please keep your answers to one paragraph each):
- Tell us about an example of podcast scoring that you heard recently that you really enjoyed, & why.
- Tell us about an example of podcast scoring that you heard recently that didnt work for you, & why not. What would you have done differently?
- Whats a piece of scoring that youve worked on that youre especially proud of? Tell us, in a sentence or two, about the thought process behind it. Please point us to the section (keep it under 5 minutes, please).
This is a part-time (7-10 days per month), freelance position. Wed like to work with someone in New York City, but are open to working remotely with the right person.
This listing will close at 9AM EST on September 23rd.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.