MakeSpace is looking for a Staff Engineer to help us scale our products & lead our Operations & Warehouse team. We just raised $55 million in Series E funding to help make space more accessible to everyone with our full-service customer experience & full-featured technology products. Join us as we help people live more spacious lives in 31 cities across North America (and counting).
As a staff engineer youll be creating & designing our core products, mentoring our engineers & helping setup the next iteration of our technical vision. At MakeSpace, a staff engineer will be at the nucleus of our engineering teams & work across teams & products. You help make the tradeoffs between our current products & our future vision. As a contributing IC, youll work with other engineers, product & test engineers to solve product challenges which includes our move to (micro) services.
You can expect to:
- Write, test, document & deploy high quality code, including work on stand-alone services, including microservices, as we develop the next generation of our codebase & products.
- Evolve our platform via architectural, design & code reviews.
- Steer & lead our design reviews, architectural & infrastructure choices.
- Help teams in thinking about design, patterns, frameworks in helping to meet quarterly objectives or cross team projects.
- Collaborate on the technical vision for future products.
- Develop your leadership skills by mentoring engineers, pairing & leading workshops.
- Drive technical decisions on agile, cross-functional teams including marketing, product management & engineering.
- Experiment on new technologies with an open mind.
- Lead architecture decisions at a multi-system level.
- You either have a bachelors degree or professional software engineering experience.
- You have worked as a tech lead or senior engineer for several companies, including work related to building service oriented architecture & CI/CD.
- Youve experience in two or more of the following - Site Reliability & DevOps, Backend engineering & API definition, Data Engineering, SOA, Web Engineering
- You have experience with one of, preferably both, migrating to a Service-oriented architecture from a monolith & with event-based or distributed architectures.
- You continually learn & strive towards being the best software engineer you can be.
- You have a record of mentorship. Experience instilling technical excellence across teams.
- With unwavering attention to detail, you write clean, pragmatic, & reusable code.
- You have a willingness to learn, teach & step outside of your comfort zone.
- Nice to haves: Experience with logistics or warehouse management systems
MakeSpace culture is built on collaboration & innovation. Theres tons of room to grow & opportunities to take initiative. You will partner with sharp, motivated teammates looking to disrupt a massive industryand have fun while doing it.
If this sounds like you, then let us knowand join a tech company that makes a concrete impact on the physical world every day!
We are an equal opportunity employer & value a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds at our company. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.