Hi, were Oscar. Were hiring a Director of Engineering Effectiveness to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to refactor the healthcare industry & make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech - helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, & language theory. We invest our people, our tools, & our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
Engineering Effectiveness is one of three infrastructure groups at Oscar. If Site Reliability Engineering is infrastructure-as-a-service, then think of the Engineering Effectiveness group as platform-as-a-service. We build & operate platform services such as schedulers, consensus services, monitoring & common/shared engineering services for Oscars software engineers to use. In addition, we educate & train the engineering organization on best practices, we build codelab tutorials, implement frameworks & provide common libraries.
As the Director of Engineering Effectiveness, you will begin with managing two teams - Engineering Effectiveness & Data Infrastructure - & report into our Senior Director of Infrastructure Engineering.
What you will actually be doing:
- As a leader you will conduct the strategy & planning for your teams operations
- You will mentor your teams members & nurture their career growth
- You will be a key person in adaptation & tailoring processes to help your teams be productive & happy
- You will contribute strong engineering skills & partake in design & implementation alongside your teams members
You at Oscar:
- You are passionate about mentoring people & team leadership
- You put people first & care about the development of your teams & the effectiveness of your teams
- You care about platforms & automations
- You can work well under pressure & within tight deadlines
- You have at least 10 years of Platform or SRE development & at least 5 years managing people
- You enjoy working & deploying technologies such as schedulers, data streaming, containerization & observability in Python & Go or other similar technologies
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring pracrices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. Were on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to the applicant's disability or need for accomodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.