Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, & meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, & books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly & 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, & distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, & NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBCs Disruptor 50, one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups, & the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the 5000.
What Were Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a world-class internal communications professional to join our growing team. In this position, you will play a critical role in developing & executing internal communications strategies & materials. This person is responsible for ensuring we communicate with Skillzians in a clear, concise, & thoughtful manner by writing, editing, reviewing, & proofing all internal communications. You will use your communications skills to amplify our culture & strategic vision & mission, championing connections among teams & driving business results through upbeat communications that leave employees energized, informed, & inspired to do their best work.
What You Will Do:
- Develop & run our internal communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with company leadership & overall business strategy
- Write/edit & oversee production of internal communication pieces for audiences including executives, leadership, management, specific departments, & the general employee population
- Partner closely with members of the Communications, Workplace, & HR teams to develop engaging, impactful internal narratives about Skillz, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, & what makes it a best place to work
- Thoughtfully leverage appropriate internal channels to ensure that Skillzians are informed & inspired, including email, intranet, Slack channels, & company-wide meetings
- Develop & manage companys intranet platform
- Drive leadership messaging, talking points, & speeches for monthly Town Halls & other employee gatherings
- Identify opportunities to share organization milestones with the broader company audience, providing proactive & reactive messaging that supports key initiatives & program rollouts
- Review & edit all team member communications to employees to ensure clear, concise, & accurate messaging that is aligned with company brand & goals
- Drive the strategy & implementation of the companys internal intranet, bringing it to life as a hub of internal news, content, & resources for employees
- Consult & advise cross-functional leaders on internal communications matters
- Proactively identify new opportunities & develop new programs to continually up-level our internal communications program
- Track & measure the success of internal communication strategies & campaigns, implementing adjustments as needed to increase employee engagement & understanding
- 6+ years of internal communications work experience in fast-paced, high-growth business & technology environments
- Knowledge of company journey & culture, & the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with a startup-to-public technology company is a plus, but not required
- Experience with change management, & ability to maintain calm under fire
- An intuitive & effective manager & mentor, who is capable of both counseling senior leaders & growing junior team members alike
- Well-versed in developing internal communication plans, managing projects, & creating internal messaging
- Experience writing & turning complex concepts & information into relevant, engaging, timely, & valuable content for the broad employee base
- Experience in developing & running a company intranet platform, including creating & delivering impactful editorial & content strategies
- Passionate about the Skillzian experience & the essential role that creative & contemporary internal communications play in helping to align, engage, & inspire employees
- Proven ability to run & deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning & ruthless prioritization
- Exceptional organizational, verbal, & written communication skills, as well as attention to detail & accuracy
- Entrepreneurial & a hands-on style with a strong bias for action & results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
- Knowledge of current & emerging internal communications technology, tools, channels, & best practices, & ability to recommend & implement best practices
- Enthusiastic team player who excels at working collaboratively with executives & colleagues alike, consistently delivering high-quality work even under time constraints
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, & we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.