Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why & Where
As Twilio redefines the market for customer engagement software, companies globally are looking to see how we do it. We have succeeded on the strength of creative programs & strict execution. But we've yet to tap the mountains of data we collect across product usage, clickstream, & ad impressions. We are excited to add a Data Scientist who will optimize the yield of over $100M in marketing investment & directly influence the story we take to market.
Twilio is looking for a Data Science professional who wants to build hypotheses & design experiments in the domain of marketing & advertising. You are eager to learn & inspire, & you like to think at scale & work with real-world problems, distilling takeaways for less-technical audiences. You should have most or all of:
- Masters or PhD degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or another quantitative field
- Strong background in statistics (design of experiments, estimation theory, hypothesis testing, time series analysis, Bayesian inference)
- Validated experience in data mining & visualization
- Proficiency in machine learning (supervised & unsupervised learning, reinforcement learning & multi-arm bandits)
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with Python (preferred) or R, experience with C/C++ or Java/Scala is a plus
- Bonus: Familiarity with distributed systems (e.g. Spark), streaming data platforms (e.g. Kafka) & Google Analytics
As a Data Scientist in Marketing, you will collaborate with marketing teams such as Demand Generation, PR, Content, & Marketing Ops. You will often collaborate with a distributed guild of other Data Scientists, embedded in their respective functions across Twilio. Key responsibilities:
- Cultivate a POV with market trends & use anonymized Twilio product data to validate & support storylines for our PR team to pitch to journalists.
- Optimize existing measurement tools to develop a regular cadence of reports which highlight the business impact of Twilio PR results, content & social media efforts.
- Refine our multi-touch attribution model to understand which programs are supplying the most revenue.
- Evaluate ground breaking ML algorithms (such as multi-arm bandit) to accelerate our time-to-insight with experiments in-market.
Twilio looks for leaders who live the Twilio Magic. For this role, it's especially important to demonstrate:
- DRAW THE OWL: Ability to apply sophisticated math techniques in novel ways to measure the result of advertising & marketing campaigns.
- BE AN OWNER: Ability to step up & lead cross-functional projects for which the team builds new infrastructure.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ability to articulate clear test plans & a business case.
- RUTHLESS PRIORITIZATION: Ability to decide (and explain) which tests should run first.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Ability to build tools & frameworks that other teams in Marketing use to bring to bear insights on a go-forward basis.
Our Marketing team evaluates investments on the basis of pipe-to-spend. I.E. how much pipeline can we build for the Sales team with our budget? Every year, we not only grow our budget but also our pipe-to-spend efficiency. The better we do, the more sales reps Twilio can hire, & the faster we can redefine how the world builds software. We see potential to increase our pipe-to-spend by another 20% in 12-18 months.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation, & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.