By the year 2020, global spending on artificial intelligence research is estimated to reach $46 billion, with money pouring in from big tech companies, private investors, public institutions & governments. AI is set to change humanity & our world in unimaginable ways & AI research is the fuel catapulting us into to this next era of technological innovation.
What is AI research? Who are the key players (people & companies) in AI research today? Which research is having the most impact on innovation? And how can becoming well-versed in AI research help you to think more creatively about AI & to level-up your innovation game?
This workshop, taught by Dr. Seth Baum (Executive Director of The Global Catastrophic Risk Institute & an AI researcher specializing in AI safety & risk) will introduce you to the global AI research ecosystem (the researchers, the companies, the conflicts, the money funding it & and the research leading to new innovations).
You will learn (from someone who has been doing AI research for over a decade) how to stay on top of the latest research without becoming overwhelmed, & how you can participate in AI research even if you aren't an academic or a technologist. And finally, you'll walk away with a diverse list of resources to stay on top of AI research & to further explore AI research that interests you the most (or that is most relevant to your professional goals). There will also be plenty of time for Q&A with Dr. Baum.
Prerequisites & Preparation
No prerequisites required.
This workshop is for anyone who who wants to level-up their AI knowledge & gain a more nuanced understanding of how AI research is currently being produced, funded, & used to develop new technologies. It is especially ideal for product managers, developers & engineers, marketers, tech journalists, investors, entrepreneurs, students, & teachers.
This workshop will cover:
1. the different types of AI research - computer science vs. social science etc.
2. how Google went from being a research paper to a product & startup (an example of research that literally changed our world)
3. academic research on the social & policy dimensions of AI
4. the research ecosystem that is specifically focused on long-term forms of AI
5. research focused on building AI
6. debates & controversies within AI communities, including the Google Project Maven incident
7. who the major players are in building AI
8. research communities in different countries
9. money being invested
10. how the media covers research
11. the use & impact of data in research
12. the AI Safety Research program (funded primarily by Elon Musk) to help researchers find safe uses for AI (Dr. Baum will also provide a brief overview of the research proposal he submitted to the program)