ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. Were building news & information products that fit into your everyday routines, & we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. Were best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching over 6-Million active subscribers daily. You can find our Skimm app on iOS, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, & entertainment before & it's happening. We also have theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio & video production team..
theSkimm's Tech team is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who are comfortable building tools throughout the stack. Our mission as an engineering team is to build the connections between theSkimm's editorial team & its growing audience, wherever they are.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will be responsible for maintaining & innovating on our current website & newsletter infrastructure in order to elevate theSkimms products to our valued users. Although the platforms for these products may vary, the design patterns & programming principles necessary to build & distribute them are often the same. We're looking for an experienced software engineer to accelerate our development cycles by demonstrating pragmatism, creativity, & a desire to move our organization forward at all costs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Programming across our Node & React application, & occasionally our Rails applications.
- Exploring emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. email, serverless functions, microsites, etc)
- Building connections between theSkimm's CMS content & the website, often via GraphQL APIs.
- Programming user account & login features that integrate with our backend REST APIs
- Maintaining & iterating on 3rd party web integrations (eg. Cookie Compliance vendor, A/B testing platform, analytics events, Google products like GA, GTM, & GAM)
- Offering suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS & Vercel)
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THESKIMM
- At least 2-3 years professional experience in web development at scale
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, React, Node.js
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity & facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, CircleCI, Github Actions)
- Ability to thrive & be resourceful in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Eagerness & ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation & attention to detail
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience & mission
- Familiarity building systems that leverage hosting & deployment services (eg AWS, Vercel)
- Experience writing unit, integration & end to end tests using modern testing frameworks (eg. Jest, Selenium, Cypress, Puppeteer)
- Experience shipping & maintaining production deployments of React applications
- Experience & comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.