What is NewCo?
NewCo (short for New Company) is a new DTC (direct-to-consumer) start-up venture being incubated by Harrys. Over the past year, Harrys has vetted an exciting opportunity to create a new brand & business in an underserved CPG (consumer packaged goods) category. They are now gearing up to launch & looking to hire a team to build & run the business, revolutionize another category & improve the experience of millions of people.
About the Role
As the Accounting Manager for NewCo, you will be responsible for building & managing the day-to-day accounting operations. This will include ensuring the accuracy of G/L accounts, managing cash flows, making financial statements, & ensuring that processes & controls are in place to achieve a sound month-end close process. Overall, you will be making sure the accounting & reporting is solid an in compliance to help drive important business decisions. Additionally, through driving cross-functional initiatives, you will support the business financial & management reporting needs which will be essential to the growing company.
This is a unique opportunity to join a start-up at the earliest stages & help build a function & define critical processes. Since the team will be small initially, you must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, creating & -- establishing processes where they dont exist, & wearing multiple hats - from that of a bookkeeper all the way to a controller.
What you will accomplish:
- Record & maintain the NewCo ledgers & reporting systems, ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Prepare & post journal entries, book accruals, prepare bank reconciliations & oversee expense reporting
- Perform month-end close & prepare monthly financial statements
- Oversee the production of dashboard metrics for key financial statement accounts
- Own the accuracy of key general ledger account reporting & substantiation as part of the month-end & quarter-end close processes
- Oversee sales tax reporting compliance
- Manage the annual & interim audit processes
- Set up systems, processes & procedures with cross functional stakeholders to ensure accuracy in reporting. This may include implementation of ERP platform.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget & quarterly forecast
- Help manage cash burn & the cash disbursement process
- Produce monthly variance analyses between Budget/Forecast & Actual results
- Develop & ensure adherence to key processes & controls in support of GAAP financial statement assertions
- Institute a culture that balances process efficiency & data integrity including the leading of projects/initiatives where gaps exist today
- Help to build out the accounting team over time for this business, including recruiting, managing & developing a team of direct reports
- Accounting degree with a CPA
- Mixture of public accounting (Big 4) & industry experience (retail, wholesale or e-commerce, preferably in a start-up private company)
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP technical reporting requirements
- ERP experience is a must, with SAP experience a plus
- Highly skilled in Excel
- Experience working in an environment where processes & controls may not exist & require your expertise
- Thrive on new & changing accounting adventures, & figuring out creative ways to track data & solve for them
- Experience & comfort working in a collaborative environment as opposed to silos
- Great communicator, able to simplify complex financial terms to non-financial audience
- Low ego, no problem too small
- Excited to build something from scratch
About Harrys & NewCo:
Harrys started in 2013 as a grooming brand with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, transformed our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo. Now, Harrys vision is to build a next generation CPG company by investing in & building a portfolio of modern brands across multiple categories.
Harrys has vetted an exciting opportunity to build a new brand & business (NewCo) in an underserved CPG category. They are now looking to hire a team to build & run that business, revolutionize another category, & improve the experience of millions of people. As part of the early stage team at NewCo, you will have the unique opportunity to help build a company from the ground up, but with the support & guidance of experts that have done it before & with the backing of world-class investors.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.