Blavity is a venture-funded technology & new media company, which was founded in 2014 with the simple idea of enabling Millennials of Color to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms & lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of black millennials through original content, video & unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for black media, reaching 30 million millennials per month through its growing brand portfolio; Blavity, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, & Shadow & Act. We are 5 brands with one vision & limitless opportunity!
Assembled of passionate, high-energy, & focused rock-stars, our Blavity Team creates & executes with our values at the forefront of mind:
- Love of Community
- Transparency & Communication
- Collective Responsibility
- Fail Fast
Blavity is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, & advance our strategic direction. We are headquartered in Downtown LA & have a satellite workspace in Atlanta. Join us!
What you will do
The Assistant Photo Editor will work closely with our Blavity News editorial & marketing teams to help curate high-quality & engaging photo galleries to include as part of our editorial coverage. This person will assist with all photo-related responsibilities including building slideshows within our content management system along with writing engaging & witty captions around various topics. They will also be responsible for photo selection for individual news articles, creating unique imagery for our original stories & delivering on any photo-related requests for exclusive articles, op-eds, videos or special projects. The candidate will be integral to helping maximize page views, drive engagement on social & increase the overall quality of the news platform.
The ideal candidate is an avid news consumer, pays attention to detail & understands how to tell engaging & comprehensive stories through photos. They are an authority on how to provide quality images for all facets of website & social digital channels. Familiarity with our social channels & an interest in politics & pop culture are a plus. They are expected to think creatively about how to deliver impactful storytelling through images to help boost time on site & pageviews. They must also be social media savvy & understand the role of imagery in depicting black people in a powerful & positive light.
This is a Contractor (1099) remote position which will be required to attend select meetings in our Downtown LA office. This contract is guaranteed 20 hours/week for up to 6 months.
Content Creation & Management:
- Curate entertaining & informative galleries around various topics varying from politics to pop culture
- Think creatively about how photos can help better excite or ignite interest in readers & provide recommendations in a timely fashion
- Build quality, diverse galleries that drive company KPIs
- Provide high-quality image suggestions for videos & special projects
- Pitch creative ideas for photo projects or campaigns that speak to Blavity readers that dig deep into the issues we cover
- Identify ways photos can help increase metrics around time on site & page views
- Create special graphics or images for originals, exclusive, op-eds or videos that follow a cohesive style & format
Perform other photo-related duties as assigned.
Years of Experience: 2-3 years of related experience
- Knowledge of Photoshop is a must
- Experience with digital asset management and/or content management systems
- Previous experience in production/editing
- Knowledge of compliance & best practices for proper photo credits & image clearance
- Strong knowledge & interest in marketing & media
- Hands-on content development experience
- Strong writing experience
- Strong written communication
- Excellent time management & project management skills
- Ability to proactively manage projects from end-to-end
Location: Los Angeles Area
Preferred Interests: Love for black culture, politics & pop culture, & community
Blavity is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, free of discrimination & harassment, & building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, & skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit & business need.