theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Senior Research Analyst will support theSkimms Insights, Brand Strategy & Sales teams, who are experienced, resourceful, creative, scrappy hustlers. This role will help us better understand our audience & its behaviors primarily to support sales & partnership opportunities, but also to help with product development & message. The ideal candidate is proactive, collaborative, & detail-oriented, as well as passionate about research to drive partnership opportunities, as were looking for someone with experience pulling insights from disparate data sets to tell a holistic story.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Support day-to-day efforts of the Insights & Brand Strategy teams, leveraging data & research to develop unique client-focused insights & marketing stories
Manage & execute quantitative, qualitative & secondary research projects from the ground up with a particular emphasis on original primary survey research for advertising opportunities
Use data creatively to generate audience insights, category insights, identify white spaces & solve challenges for advertising partners
Monitor & update pre-sales resources, including category specific insights, competitive analyses & FAQ data & slides (i.e. % of moms, Gen Z, etc etc) at a mutually agreed upon cadence with Sales
Develop category expertise, synthesize & contribute data/trends/industry news into sales materials for a more holistic story
Work to understand how macro trends (e.g. the current political environment, etc) relate to our audience & our partners
Work with insights lead & Sales team to proactively identify opportunities for useful & impactful research for potential & existing partners
Join brainstorms & work with brand strategists on insights-driven deliverables
Present research & insights in client-facing scenarios
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 2-4 years of experience in a research capacity (e.g. strategy, market research, consulting, or analytics, with strength in primary research)
- Familiarity with survey research tools & methodologies such as brand trackers, net promoter score, & ad effectiveness surveys
- Familiarity with qualitative research methodologies such as in-depth interviews & ethnographies
- An ability to prioritize your time & focus in a fast-paced environment
- Being very comfortable with data, creative & resourceful to solve problems, & inquisitive by nature & constantly asking "who, what, & why?"
- Ability to interpret fuzzy requests from non-research people & turn into meaningful, actionable insights
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- You love to learn & have experience to support that
- Client-facing experience (e.g. pitches or presentations)
- An interest in & understanding of brand strategy and/or integrated marketing
- A keen interest in news / current events
- An understanding of advanced statistical analysis
- Experience with SQL, and/or the idea of learning a programming language does not scare you
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Free One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning & fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals & drinks during our weekly "Sipn Skimm" all-hands meeting & twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY