SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CNC LATHE MACHINIST
- Machine precision fixtures, tools & products from drawings, in accordance with established procedures, with limited supervision
- Plan machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, CAD files, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, & machining parameters; interprets geometric dimensions & tolerances (GD&T)
- Operate lathes by entering instructions, including zero & reference points; sets tool registers, offsets, compensation, & conditional switches; calculates requirements including basic math, geometry, & trigonometry
- Set-up lathes by installing & adjusting three- & four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, & stock pushers, tramming heads, fixturing & workholding as required, including adding features for holding if necessary for particular part geometry
- Verify settings by measuring positions, first-run part, & sample work pieces
- Maintain specifications by observing drilling, grooving, & cutting, including turning, facing, knurling & thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; maintain cutting tools & makes necessary adjustments in machine control to meet part specifications
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures & regulations
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting & communicating actions, irregularities, & continuing needs
- Responsible for improving the shop's quality & productivity through addressing machining issues that arise in the manufacturing process
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 4+ years of machining experience with CNC machines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Programming experience
- Experience with complex, tight tolerance parts & various metallic materials
- Ability to read & work off of a blueprint
- Experience in shop math, tooling technology, blueprint reading & measurement of parts
- Ability to communicate clearly & effectively. Ability to read accurately & write clearly
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Willing to work either 1st shift (5:00 AM - 3:30 PM) or 2nd shift (3:30 PM - 2:00 AM), overtime & weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. unassisted
- Able to stand for extended periods - 8 hours minimum
- Repetitive movement, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls, exposure to sounds & noise levels that are distracting are part of this role
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.