At Appian, were not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy, & innovation; great people, great software! As a Lead Site Reliability Engineer at Appian, you will drive the resolution of customer escalations, working closely with our support & product teams, & to drive changes that will improve our organization overall.
Appians Site Reliability Group is focused on driving the adoption of Site Reliability Engineering principles & practices at Appian, improving performance & reliability of mission-critical Appian services, & building tools to reduce toil & mean time to recovery. Our SRE group also builds & operates a global observability platform which monitors Appian deployments across all regions.
As a member of our centralized & dedicated SRE team, you will play a key role in integrating new tools & ideas to continuously develop & improve our best practices. The SREs on this team are responsible for working with our monitoring & observability tools, troubleshooting incidents, driving automation, & implementing preventative actions.
How youll contribute:
- Support our customers, responding to escalation from our customer support department, so that customers are able to use our product fully at all times.
- Suggest & prioritize new services & tools we should introduce to streamline our customer support processes in order to meet our Service Level Agreements sustainably.
- Participate as a key team member, providing code reviews, feedback on designs, & mentoring junior developers.
- Be a strong individual contributor to software projects, implementing core aspects & providing feedback on their purpose, desired outcomes, & business impact
- Contribute to the definition of Service Level Agreements for critical services, driving adoption & helping squads meet those agreements sustainably.
- Align with feature squads & our customer support department to understand our customer needs & set appropriate expectations.
- Promote features & practices that strengthen & enable a culture of continuous improvement.
- You have 6+ years experience as a Site Reliability engineer or other DevOps based role
- You have strong communication, negotiation, & collaboration skills; ability to convey complex, emergent, problems in a way that lets us focus on solving the root cause of the problem, rather than its symptoms.
- You have a proven ability to make difficult decisions about what to prioritize & what to ignore. You identify where you can make the most beneficial impact for our customers & continue working until that benefit has been achieved.
- Youre passionate about adding data to our processes where its missing so that we can gain insight in to where our problems are
- Strong skills in programming & debugging a complex Java application deployed in an application server
- Familiarity with modern observability tools (Grafana, Prometheus, or equivalent)
- Youre analytical by nature with an innate ability to understand & solve failures due to complex system interactions.
- You understand the value of open-source technologies, how they add capabilities that we would not want to build & maintain ourselves, & know how to get them deployed & adopted in a mature software development environment.
- Most importantly, youre passionate about keeping the customers we have happy with our product!
B.S. in Computer Science, or a related field, M.S. preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps & workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, & data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources & improve business results. Many of the worlds largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, & simplify global risk management & compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers & throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth & opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate & our employees are to thank for Appians success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com & let us know the nature of your request & your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.