Associate Director, National Provider Contracting
As Oscar Health continues to expand to new markets across the country, an essential component is negotiating high-quality contracts with national delegated providers & vendors.
In this role, you will lead negotiations with Oscars most critical, national delegated providers & vendors (e.g. vendors including labs, behavioral health, durable medical equipment). You will collaborate with our divisions leaders & other internal stakeholders to understand & represent Oscars operational, financial, & member experience goals as well as regulatory requirements. You will be project managing a large, national deal funnel across multiple markets & ultimately owning negotiations with key delegated providers & vendors. You will ultimately also manage a team of high-caliber associates supporting this work.
In your first 6 weeks you will:
- Become well-acquainted with Oscars internal operations & technology-driven approach to curating strong, high-quality networks for our members.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the rate structures, economics, & core contractual provisions of Oscars delegated provider & vendor partnerships.
- Form strong working relationships with internal stakeholders across the company & understand the impact of our contractual terms on their workstreams.
- Become an essential part of the drafting, negotiation, & initial operationalization of critical delegated provider & vendor deals.
Moving forward, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Independently lead, own, & refine our process for contractual negotiations (including legal language & rates) with new & existing delegated providers & vendors from end to end, including maintaining a consistent standard for these negotiations.
- Own the full lifecycle of a portfolio of deals (i.e. from strategy development to template generation to negotiation to account management handoffs).
- Operate, refine & manage a recruiting/sales funnel of national delegated providers & vendors.
- Collaborate with deal owners, account managers, & other Oscar teams & stakeholders.
- Build robust & iterative processes that improve the outcomes of Oscar's delegated provider & vendor contracting efforts, focusing on clear metrics & reporting.
- Incubate & develop a strong & growing deal team, improving their negotiating abilities & deepening their level of understanding of the subject matter.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience in sales, deal negotiation, and/or healthcare, as well as a deep background in a client-facing, leadership role. Other key components for success include:
- 8 - 10 years of work experience in healthcare partnerships, revenue cycle management, contracting, or business development.
- A strong analytical background & the ability to quickly digest & evaluate complex legal contracts, including rate structures, economics, & other quantitative aspects of negotiations
- Experience working with healthcare systems, payers, vendors, and/or provider groups.
- Outstanding structured & critical thinking, & keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication, organization, & project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills & experience with intricate negotiations
- The flexibility to work both with & without structure
- Demonstrated comfort in collaborating with executive stakeholders
- JD, MBA, MPH, or other professional degree from a top program with a clear track record of excellence.
- Experience working for early-stage enterprises (e.g., building a company or launching a new functional area).
- Background in process building & operational improvement.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.