ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for a Senior Manager of FP&A that will own the financial forecasting & reporting & support accounting elements of the business. The ideal candidate will be a smart, self-starter with a strong desire to work at a fast-paced media company in the growth stage. The individual will join a four-person finance & accounting team & will have one direct report. This position is the perfect opportunity for someone on a career path to be Director/VP of Finance.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Ownership of all P&L planning, estimating & reporting processes including: support the general ledger, consolidation of the P&L, managing finance & operations files & templates, cash flow projections, & reviewing financial variance commentary for quarter close & estimate/budget cycles
- Create & drive trending & strategic analyses for the business
- Partner closely with department leaders (i.e. Ad Sales, Growth Marketing, Marketing, Product/Engineer, etc.) to collect & effectively monitor financials, oversee variance commentary & report to President/Co-CEOS on financial performance, OKRs & key metrics
- Take initiative & be proactive in identifying & implementing ways to further simplify, automate & standardize processes across all areas
- Contribute to presentations to co-CEOs & Board meeting & perform ad hoc analyses, providing insightful views into business operations & financial performance
- Support with operational duties, just as annual insurance renewal, advertising operatinos & legal
- Manage & develop an FP&A team
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field
- CPA preferred
- 7+ years of experience in a FP&A/Accounting role & excellent financial modeling skills
- Strong analytical skills, process thinker, forecasting/planning skills
- Excellent communication skills; ability to present effectively to audiences at all levels of an organization
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced & deadline-oriented environment
- Self-Starter, can work independently & take initiative in challenging situations
- Team player who enjoys both working independently & values being part of a unit
- Ability to multi-task & prioritize work assignments in a constantly changing & challenging environment
- Works well under pressure
- Ability to work with & maintain confidential information
- Proficient with MS Office - particularly Excel & PowerPoint
- Experience in QuickBooks & NetSuite
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, product managers, engineers, analysts, sellers, & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work. While our employees are continuing to work remotely throughout the remainder of 2021, we are excited to return to HQ in New York, NY next year. Beginning in January 2022, the office will be open Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday & NY metro area employees will come together in person a minimum of 3 days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employee & they may go in as often as they'd like.
We will require vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations for any additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.