ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for an experienced audio engineer who can develop a rich & textured sound design that will correspond with the tone, mission & voice of theSkimm. This engineer will work across three weekly podcasts -- recording, editing, & mixing.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Work with talent & guests to record weekly podcasts
- Mix complex multi-track segments with clips, narration, & music
- Train incoming producers on basic editing & show sound design
- Provide audio editorial input in daily production (suggest music or cuts that add a storytelling element)
- Support audio acquisition, cut tape, record & edit two-way interviews, mix audio as needed
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs audio engineering/sound design experience, preferably in a news setting
- Advanced proficiency in cutting & mixing tape for podcast distribution
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears & react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experienced working with talent, both experienced hosts & guests who are new to audio
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.