About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, & society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity.The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, & increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online atwww.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Budget Analyst
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President & CAO
The Budget Analyst will participate in the Academys fiscal year budget preparation including strategic planning, performance measures & budget formulation, justification & execution.
- Work with Controller, SVP & CAO & Department Heads to develop the organization's budget. Provide advice & assistance regarding budget requests & supporting documentation.
- Work with Department Heads to identify & deliver key performance indicator reports, & analyze trends.
- Prepare financial variance reports on a regular basis to enhance cost controls, & investigate & report on the causes of the variances to management.
- Monitor, input, extract & track trends, obligations & expenditures through the use of electronic spreadsheets & software in the development of budgetary & statistical reports.
- Monitor & review the Academys expense & capital budgets & develop recommendations for fiscal & operational efficiencies.
- Research, review, verify, develop & compile appropriate budgetary information submitted by Department Heads and/or designated individuals within the organization to ensure that funds are properly allocated to support the organizations mission & objectives.
- Resolve discrepancies between obligations & expenditures; identify potential funding issues & works to mitigate shortfall/surpluses.
- Develops & evaluates strategies for implementing programmatic budget priorities.
- Work with Controller to complete month-end reports & monthly reforecasting.
- Plan & develop detailed strategy & background documentation for presenting budget materials to top-level executives.
- Perform ad-hoc budget reports as requested by the Executive Vice President, SVP & CAO.
- Masters (MBA, MPA, etc.) degree preferred & a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience in budgetary planning, financial analysis, or related. Experience in budgeting or fiscal analysis expected.
- Power user of Microsoft Excel, & budgeting & financial management systems. Ability to work with a variety of software applications & experience analyzing large & complex data sets.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills, strong interpersonal, analytic, quantitative & organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an extremely fluid environment with changing demands.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets & bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions & privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, & any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume & cover letter with desired salary.