See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer within our Twilio Engage Compute team.
Who we are & why were hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications & data solutions that help companies & developers worldwide build better applications & customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, & we're looking for more builders, creators, & visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
As a Software Engineer on the Twilio Engage Compute team, youll lead the design & building of systems that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second in real-time & compute billions of data points per hour. Youll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, & guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product & as a team.
Twilio Engage is the worlds first growth platform powered by customer data. Imagine a platform that can take hundreds of thousands of messages entering Twilio Segments pipelines every second, add in an identity graph, overlay high-speed databases & realtime & batch computation engines & you have the Twilio Engage platform. This platform unlocks our ability to build key business growth features like audience management, real-time personalization, & data-driven marketing campaigns.
We iterate quickly on these products & features & learn new things daily all while writing quality code. We work closely with product & design & solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact this is the place for you.
In this role, youll:
- Become the architect & tech lead for the computation systems that power Twilio Engage
- Advance the state of the art in real-time compute
- Prototype & build a distributed batch compute engine thats highly scalable & performant
- Create world-class scheduling & orchestration platforms to drive & scale our computing capabilities
- Design & build a programmatic interface for creating, scheduling, & executing computations at scale
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, fellow developers, & internal stakeholders to turn business goals into achievable technical roadmaps
- Drive operational excellence, maintaining robust uptime & enabling continuous delivery
- Mentor & direct a distributed team of skilled engineers
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, & we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having desired qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Experience as a technical leader mentoring & providing leadership to engineering teams
- Experience designing & implementing highly available, performant, & fault-tolerant distributed systems that provide durable & (eventually) consistent results
- Exposure to architectural design patterns of high-scale systems (e.g. well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms) & experience navigating & understanding large-scale software architectures
- Well-versed in concurrent programming
- Solid grasp of Linux systems & networking concepts
- Experience maintaining & operating always-on cloud services
- Experience taking challenging projects across the finish line, from gathering requirements to deploying & debugging systems in production
- Experience interfacing with stakeholders & translating customer requirements into software solutions; motivated & driven to deliver customer impact
- Comfortable asking questions & taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to draw the owl
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking diverse viewpoints & acting with intention to create an inclusive team environment
- Excellent written & verbal communications skills
- Experience with Golang & public cloud solutions
- Experience with Apache Flink or other distributed compute frameworks
- Experience with data lake architectures
- Experience managing AWS infrastructure
- Track record of open source contributions
This role will be remote & based in the USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental & wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, & much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, & are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering & donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, & be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $198.960,00 - $201.080,00.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidates starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, & geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilios equity plan & for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.