About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 700 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Job:
As Senior Counsel, Employment, you will be the first employment specialist on our Legal Team & have an immediate impact on key aspects of Rent the Runways innovative business. You will be responsible for supporting the People team & other departments on all employment matters relating to our workforce across our corporate, warehouse & customer service employee populations. You will have an influential role & opportunity to positively impact our culture & employee experience.
You will report to the General Counsel. In light of COVID-19, you will work remotely until Rent the Runways NYC headquarters reopens. You will be expected to visit RTRs facilities & other offices periodically; however, due to COVID-19, travel is subject to safety considerations & company policies.
What Youll Do:
- Serve as the lead attorney & strategic advisor for all employment matters across the business, including diversity & inclusion, recruitment, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence & accommodations, severance programs, labor matters, wage & hour issues, internal investigations, unemployment & workers compensation, compensation & benefits, & immigration.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day employment advice & counseling to support business needs & appropriately balance legal risk.
- In partnership with the People team, develop & maintain effective HR policies, procedures & other documentation, including drafting, implementing, & maintaining template documents & ensuring clear & effective procedures for all employment matters (e.g., performance improvement plans, investigation procedures, employee handbook).
- Advise on & advance our diversity & inclusion strategy & initiatives.
- Negotiate & draft employment-related contracts (e.g., talent & employment agreements, separation agreements, recruiter agreements, employee management platforms).
- Provide effective & engaging training on employment law topics.
- Oversee employment-related disputes, investigations & litigation.
- Monitor relevant employment law developments & keep the team up-to-date.
- Manage outside counsel on employment matters.
You Should Have:
- JD & New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with all aspects of employment law, including wage & hour & FLSA exemption issues, OSHA, labor matters, matters relating to discrimination, harassment & retaliation, workplace investigations & documentation, disability, FMLA, restrictive covenants & whistleblower protections.
- Experience advising on employment matters across a large & diverse employee population.
- Experience with employment law in non-US jurisdictions (particularly Ireland) is a plus.
- Litigation experience is a plus.
- Experience with executive compensation is a plus.
- Experience working in a fast-paced & disruptive business.
- A practical, business-oriented approach & ability to translate legal issues into clear, plain English guidance for non-lawyers.
- Must be a team player who will roll up their sleeves & take on additional responsibilities, while also being able to work independently & think strategically.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment & an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right..
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships & influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects, working independently & under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up quickly, & work well in a fast-paced environment.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & well-being of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!