Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love
DigitalOceans Managed Storage Products Team builds & runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal & customer-facing services & products. Were creating flexible & powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly & easily as possible. Were looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation & maintenance of products including CDN, Database-as-a-Service, APIs, & middleware used to power DigitalOceans Spaces & Volumes storage offerings.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team & capable of contributing across the whole stack. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Storage Products team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization. As a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to work remotely with Canada & the United States or from our offices in NYC, Cambridge, MA & Palo Alto, CA.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Leading development of Managed Database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis) products
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, & more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, & beyond
- Mentoring team members
What Well Expect From You:
- Prior experience as a technical lead or architect
- A deep understanding of distributed systems
- Production development experience in Go at a similar size & scale
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- Working knowledge of microservices using Docker & Kubernetes
- A strong background & exposure to databases, including both relational (PostgreSQL, MySQL) & NoSQL (Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB) database systems
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus & queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Ability to leverage multiple programming languages to build production systems
- Knowledge of virtualization concepts & application
- Passion for providing technical leadership & mentoring other engineers
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills to collaborate & demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders
- Love writing & improving code with an emphasis on testing & maintainability
- Work well in a small team & able to balance & prioritize projects & requests
- A positive energy & passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack in a fast-paced startup environment
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!