theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms Sales & Business Development teams are a growing group of experienced, resourceful, & scrappy hustlers. We pull out all of the stops to get sh*t done, whether thats working with agencies & clients directly, seeking out third-party partnerships to drive incremental revenue alongside top of the funnel growth, or contributing to the growth & efficiency of our pre & post-sales operations
As we grow, were seeking an energetic, multifaceted rockstar to lead revenue strategy at theSkimm. This is a new role that will be in charge of exploring & building out new revenue streams. The focus is on identifying & testing new areas for revenue growth, with or without partnerships, as well as exploring how to expand emerging revenue streams including commerce & licensing. This person will be a self-motivated contributor who is equal parts ideation, strategy, modeling & revenue analyst, operations, as well as someone who can clearly articulate the brands value proposition & guidelines. Your role is mission critical to the success of our business long term by decreasing reliance on advertising revenue.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Responsible for identifying (proactive & inbound) & growing new revenue opportunities involving sponsorship, commerce, licensing & membership
- Ability to lead the cycle end to end from market sizing, creating a business model, sourcing ideal partners if needed, contract negotiation, implementation & on-going partner management.
- Responsible for drafting & negotiating business terms, & partnering with legal counsel to execute partnership agreements
- Develop business plans for partnerships including goals, timing, revenue & profit
- Establish & manage productive relationships with key partners & relevant industry players
- Build consensus internally around business development opportunities
- Self-starter & ability to work autonomously
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Direct & relevant experience in monetization strategy for membership organizations
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience either in business development or corp development
- Foundational experience in management consulting or investment banking at top-tier firm
- A dynamic, proactive individual who is a strategic thinker with amazing interpersonal, project management & organizational skills
- Proven success collaborating & building consensus across multiple departments, while maintaining tact & diplomacy
- Readiness to close the deal, whenever & wherever the opportunity exists experience in leading the end-to-end business development process
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, stay organized, & prioritize responsibilities
- A foundation in financial & business analysis is critical for success
- Strong experience in spreadsheets, creating business models & presenting investment cases
- Proven record of creating & growing new & current revenue streams
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimms brand & products
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with both internal & external stakeholders ability to present theSkimms proposition for partners across the ecosystem at various stages of the partnership process
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sipn Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs & lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly Skimme A Drink! happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY