Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The 401(k) Onboarding Associate's main focus is to help guide Betterment at Works clients through a pleasant & efficient onboarding experience as they transition their plan to Betterment (known as a conversion).
In this role, the Onboarding Associate will contribute to a cross functional work environment by facilitating a seamless hand off from the sales team & successfully driving a conversion client through to their first payroll launch & transition of plan assets on the Betterment platform. The Onboarding Associate will liaise with the 401(k) compliance team to help implement a clients 401(k) plan design & transition plan data & assets. This role reports into the 401(k) Onboarding Manager.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $ 85,000 - 95,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Manage a book of conversions from start to finish & keep on track through the conversion date
- Review & apply all information relevant to the conversion process of the plan to ensure accuracy, efficiency & effectiveness
- Clearly communicate with & guide our clients through any questions they may have during the onboarding process
- Support the plan conversion process by communicating with other retirement & payroll providers as necessary
- Collaborate with 401(k) compliance team on complex items such as plan design & conversion files & wires
- Assist with scheduling & participate (as needed) in client meetings, phone calls, Zooms, & hand-off meetings
- Use systems such as Salesforce, Zendesk, & our proprietary tool Clinic to drive client deliverables
What were looking for
- Several years of experience with 401(k) conversions
- Expertise with customer service or financial services, specializing in 401(k) plan lifecycle & administration
- Experience in retirement services & B2B onboarding environments
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems while simultaneously communicating with clients
- Exceptional written communication skills & ability to build rapport - you will speak with our clients through email & over the phone
- Broad understanding of all aspects of 401(k) conversions including payroll, plan design & conversion files (though these items are handled by other teams, you need to understand how to collaborate closely with them)
- Interest in becoming a subject matter expert in 401(k) plans
- Experience working with CRM & project management systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, Asana, etc.)
- Strong organizational & time management skills
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.