The Beauty Content Director will run the day-to-day of our TBA cosmetic client's digital content vertical. They will work directly with the Executive Director of Editorial to fine tune the vision of the site & execute that vision daily. They will serve as a day-to-day client contact, responding to requests, providing regularly scheduled updates, attending in-person & virtual meetings. They will edit & schedule articles, producing content daily. And they will take on higher-level strategy & leadership duties for the site, all while keeping the bigger picture & KPIs in mind.
Site content production:
- Builds & maintains the editorial calendar
- Oversees the production of 40+ original, SEO-optimized articles each month.
- Offers guidance to team & exercises sound judgment on trends & topics that should be covered on the site
- Assigns trending content as needed
- Monitors the site & edits content swiftly as needed
- Takes feedback from Executive Director to improve coverage & writing/editing skills
- Is able to manage their own time & workload
- Works with the Audience Development Manager to oversee reposting of seasonal, timely, & evergreen articles (or delegates to team), with a focus on SEO
- Works with the Audience Development manager on monthly reporting for client
- Develops & maintains relationships with experts, content sources, & other industry contacts
- Attends events, conducts interviews, takes photos, & secures original content for site
- Represents brand on camera as needed
- Joins Group Nine, Brandshop, or POPSUGAR editorial task forces as needed, contributing ideas & feedback for new initiatives & tools
Site Direction & Leadership:
- Manages associate editor, assistant editors, social editors, & audience development manager
- Attends regular meetings with clients
- Has a firm understanding of the sites voice & keeps the needs of the clients in mind at all times
- Leads team in brainstorming new ideas & themes; sets agenda & leads team meetings
- Provides direct feedback on content & overall performance, on both a micro & macro level, to help editors improve their writing, framing, pitching, & time management skills
- Sends weekly feedback emails to team, including kudos & suggestions for how to improve their work
- Keeps communication concise & professional
- Is approachable to peers & junior editors
- Acts as a sounding board for other editors, offering suggestions & providing feedback when necessary & takes ownership of the content
- Manages & updates site guide / playbooks & other docs
- Builds slides for client as needed
- Is an expert in Google Analytics & other traffic tools & uses them to inform content decisions & help exceed traffic goals
- Works with Audience Development Manager on quarterly, monthly & weekly reports on site traffic & sends around to appropriate aliases
- Produces traffic deep dives & special projects as needed & works with Senior Editorial Director & Audience Development Manager to develop solutions to traffic issues
- Uses tools like BrightEdge, RivaliQ, Buzzsumo, Chartbeat, & Google Webmaster to identify new story ideas & potential stories to repost
- Bubbles up team wins, challenges, & successes to Senior Editorial Director
- Identifies improvements to team operations, brainstorms, meetings, etc.
- Assists in developing & enacting big projects & series
- Serves as main point of contact for clients.
- Attends & leads status meetings, check-ins, & planning sessions
- Manages direct reports by holding weekly or biweekly 1:1s & quarterly check-ins & annual reviews, setting clear & actionable goals
- Helps direct reports manage & prioritize workload
- Helps delegate brand requests among editors
- Approves PTO
- 7+ years of experience in writing/editing/blogging or related field
- Experience with setting content strategy & leading a team
- Strong writing, editing, & communication skills
- Strong SEO skills
- Ability to turn around clean, witty, accurate copy on tight deadlines
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Ability to stay ahead of trends & adapt to a constantly changing digital landscape
- Is proficient with HTML, Photoshop, CMS, tagging guide, & style guide
- Sitecore CMS experience a plus
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.