At Lyft, community is what we are & its what we do. Its what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft is seeking a Design Director to lead a growing team of product designers, providing direction & guidance for their teams output, as well as stewarding best practices in cross-functional partnership & design process. This person will propagate a strong design practice in our New York office, influence product strategy for our core ridesharing initiatives, & make a strong impact on product execution & quality. As a Design Director, youll also provide design mentorship & be a champion for both craft & career development, as well as create the operational space & organizational cover to help their designers focus on executing their best work.
As a qualified candidate, you have both an incredible eye for detail & an ability to think big, break new ground, innovate & impact the business. You have experience leading teams designing for mobile (native apps & mobile web), desktop web, & email, & you have a strong track record & a body of work that demonstrates clear wins to user & business impact, as well as the particulars in overall experience, visual polish, animations, & complex interactions.
You must be a proven leader, an excellent communicator, & a cross-functional, cross-organizational team player that can thrive in a very fast-paced, dynamic working environment. You are comfortable working closely with passionate designers, product managers, engineers, marketers, & executives that care deeply about creating beautiful, high-impact products.
Were intent on raising the bar with smart, delightful solutions that lock-in on user needs & tightly align with company priorities. We also want teammates that are passionate about technology, community, & finding better ways to bring people together.
- Operate as a site lead in our New York office with cross functional partners. Establishing culture, providing leadership, & giving Lyft New York its own identify & operating model.
- Manage, mentor & inspire a team of product designers, providing design direction & pushing the quality of the design work
- Push the boundaries of your teams UX/UI/visual execution & explore new ideas. Be able to think Blue Sky & explore divergent concepts & create trajectory for the company
- Influence user lifecycle product strategy & lead your team in executing design work with a high level of polish, & understand how to solve a range of tactical & contained issues to much more complex, loosely defined product challenges across all digital platforms: iOS, Android, web, & email
- Know how to lead & represent your team effectively, substantiate the work & the decisions behind them, & be an advocate for user-centered design
- Build relationships with cross functional team members & executives across organizations, & effectively speak to process, design goals & team vision as a strong representative of the design team
- Step change productivity & accelerate team efficiency by improving processes & workflows with the design team & cross functional teams
- Hire & retain top talent, focusing on attracting designers from various backgrounds & perspectives.
- Represent Lyft design at external events providing thought leadership in the design industry
- 12+ years of experience in consumer product design (UX/UI), with a focus on mobile
- Proven background in building happy & healthy teams from culture to operational cadence
- Can work independently as a site leader without much oversight or direction.
- Ability to think big & understand complex feature sets
- A track record of leading a high functioning design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, & mobile web
- A strong sense of process for building product experiences including best practices for design deliverables including mocks, prototypes, documentation, & quality checks
- Gives clear & actionable feedback that unlocks teams & accelerates the work
- Strong growth mindset & passion for data driven impact
- Ability to manage a budget including allocated resources & planning for future hiring needs
- Experience recruiting, hiring, & retaining multi-disciplinary design teams
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Superb attention to detail
- Ability to work well on an ego-free, highly collaborative, & cross-functional team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides