The Director, Digital Marketing & Growth will own the growth & retention strategies for the streaming service, Topic growing its subscriber base & launching new AVOD opportunities. Responsibilities will include development, execution, & optimization of a full-funnel marketing plan including: integrated acquisition, retention, win-back campaigns, & brand-level marketing efforts to drive growth. In addition, this role could support performance marketing efforts for The Intercept, Field of Vision, & other First Look Media initiatives. The Director will also focus on keeping the subscribers engaged & active across all touch-points, with the intention of optimizing LTV. Responsibilities will include monitoring & analyzing CPA, subscription retention metrics, & ongoing testing of ways minimize churn. This is a unique chance to help shape a vital community & loyal brand following using data-driven strategy & tactics.
This position reports to the VP Marketing & has two direct reports Manager, Growth & Manager, Email Marketing. The Director will work in collaboration with teams across the organization to identify & implement strategies to increase subscribers & LTV. The Director will manage agency relationships & contractors as needed.
- Understand the position of our brand & develop an in-depth understanding of the Topic user to inform strategy that drives LTV & other established KPIs
- Understand the two business models (SVOD & AVOD) & develop strategies & plans that grow both lines of business & meet their discreet goals.
- Develop highly efficient performance driven media plans that effectively promote our brands, content & streaming service to grow subscribers (SVOD)/viewership (AVOD). Utilizing a mix of platforms & placements including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, & Google (YouTube, AdWords, Paid Search), Amazon, Roku, Hulu, Search, & more.
- Lead innovation regarding new media opportunities. Evaluate, recommend & implement new media strategies & formats that will help deliver on business goals.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Audience Engagement to develop integrated marketing strategies & plans for key tentpoles & initiatives.
- Lead, in collaboration with the Director of Audience Engagement a robust retention strategy that will increase LTV & create advocacy for the brand.
- Lead efforts to define & improve lifecycle marketing strategy across email, push notifications, & other programs to increase retention & LTV on all distribution platforms.
- Guide & collaborate with the internal marketing & creative teams to prepare all aspects of executing the paid media campaigns from brief writing to copy correction.
- Work with SEO consultant to develop strategy & manage execution across the team.
- Analyze user behavior & performance by product, geography, platform, programming, & other factors to understand usage, LTV, & churn.
- Establish & conduct tests for new strategies to keep subscribers engaged or win them back following inactivity or churn. Scale successful pilots & optimize through iteration.
- Report out on overall acquisition, engagement & retention rates (and key drivers) to stakeholders & senior leaders.
- Collaborate with Product team to ensure a seamless, on-brand experience throughout the end-to-end customer experience.
- Partner with Research & Analytics team to build & refine retention dashboard & analyze campaign performance.
- Ensure consistent end-to-end messaging & test full funnel strategies.
- Manage & mentor direct reports.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
- Work with Analytics & Research team to identify & develop audience segments & testing, present quantitative & qualitative insights to inform campaign creative & positioning of the Topic streaming service in the market.
- Collaborate with the Sales team to help fulfill commitments & increase partnerships.
- Manage affiliate agency & promotions to drive trial acquisition.
- Work with programming to identify platform promotion opportunities.
Background & Qualifications:
- 7+ or more years in a relevant role driving acquisition & retention efforts, preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), media or publishing.
- Media planning & buying & Martech knowledge is a plus.
- Experience overseeing campaigns on social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Google Adwords, etc.
- Experience developing broadcast media plans & promotional marketing on ad-supported platforms.
- Experience developing paid media campaigns for SVOD platforms (Amazon, Roku, Hulu etc.)
- Experience working with editorial, product, creative, analytics & technical teams.
- Ability to develop & execute paid media campaigns in-house.
- Demonstrated proficiency in internal web tracking solutions (Google Analytics), native social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc), business intelligence tools (Wicket, Tableau, etc.) & social media measurement experience (Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, & verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations & simple reports.
- Experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Analytical mindset with ability to translate data & trends into actionable insights & execute against them.
- Ability to work independently & collaboratively across teams.
- Experience managing others.
- Inquisitive & strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, & verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations & simple reports.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach, can-do attitude, & adaptability
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced start-up environment
About FIRST LOOK MEDIA
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, FLM was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios, the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media, develops, finances & produces provocative & entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television & podcasts. From Kevin Macdonalds legal thriller The Mauritanian, starring Jodie Foster who won a Golden Globe for her performance, Tahar Rahim nominated for a Golden Globe for his role, Benedict Cumberbatch & Shailene Woodley (STXfilms), & the Academy Award winning Spotlight; to documentaries The Fight, co-released with Magnolia Pictures & Mucho Mucho Amor on Netflix; to television with the Film Independent Spirit Award nominated docu-series Love Fraud & the Emmy Award winning & Peabody Award nominated 16 Shots, both on Showtime; & the upcoming surfing documentary series, 100 Foot Wave on HBO/HBO Max; as well as pioneering podcasts (the return of Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell & Hari Kondabolu on Warner Media Podcast Network; the IDA Award winning investigative podcast, Somebody, with iHeartMedia); & The Messenger, on Audible Plus. Films from Topic Studios include Pablo Larrains Spencer starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana, currently in production, with NEON: Michael Angelo Covinos The Climb (Sony Pictures Classics); Euros Lyns Dream Horse, starring Toni Collette & Damian Lewis with Bleecker Street; & The Nowhere Inn (IFC Films), written by & starring Carrie Brownstein & Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent). Topic Studios is also ramping up its scripted television division, having set up two premium dramas arising from their previous first-look deal with Tracy Oliver (Girls Trip), including the adult thriller Savannah with PKM Productions for Amazon Studios; & is developing an English-language adaptation of the critically acclaimed Israeli HOT comedy, Nehama, among other projects.
Topic features North American premieres & programming from around the world, complemented by a diverse slate of Originals including documentaries, scripted comedies & dramas, discussion shows, & more. With exclusive TV series & films that take you to more than 40 countries, Topic showcases an unparalleled diversity of creators, perspectives, & experiences. We prioritize bold storytelling, champion underrepresented voices, & believe that entertainment should expand your view of the world.
Topics Original productions include the Sundance 2021 docuseries Philly D.A., Call Center Blues (directed by Geeta Gandbhir), The Letter Room (directed by Elvira Lind & starring Oscar Isaac), Chris Gethards Beautiful/Anonymous, & Release (created/directed by Joe Penna & Ryan Morrison).
Topic is available to US & Canadian audiences on topic.com, AppleTV & iOS, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android, & Amazon Prime Video Channels, with more coming soon.
About Press Freedom Defense Fund
The Press Freedom Defense Fund provides essential legal support for journalists, news organizations, & whistleblowers who are targeted by governments, corporations, or other powerful figures because they have tried to bring to light information that is in the public interest & necessary for a functioning democracy. The Fund also provides legal resources for operational needs of reporters & news organizations through a pro bono law firm, & provides training & education programs to an array of journalists, lawyers, & nonprofit organizations.
The Press Freedom Defense Fund fearlessly & relentlessly dedicates itself to protecting the First Amendment. Free speech should be regarded as a right, investigative reporting a duty, & whistleblowing an act of bravery.
The Press Freedom Defense Fund Advisory Committee includes Jameel Jaffer, Tom Rosenstiel, Sandy Rowe, Dave Schulz, & Nabiha Syed.
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning nonprofit news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on surveillance, war, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media & more.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven organisation that commissions filmmakers & artists with developing & ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights & needs of filmmakers, & supporting cinematic innovation & representation. Recent projects have included the Oscar-winning feature AMERICAN FACTORY, the Oscar-nominated features STRONG ISLAND; HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING; & Oscar-nominated shorts A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN & IN THE ABSENCE, as well as the Emmy-winning feature CRIME + PUNISHMENT, & Emmy-nominated short THE SURRENDER.
Founded in 2015 & led by Co-Founder & Executive Producer Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 130 films - 45 features, 5 episodic series, & 85 short films. Field of Vision has an ongoing commitment supporting innovation & diversity & as such 54% of Field of Vision-supported films have been directed by women & 43% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, & IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury & other awards & nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker & The Intercept & Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New York's IFC Center & London's Institute for Contemporary Arts.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.