Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Your mission is to provide effective technology leadership across Planet in the selection, implementation, & management of mission critical business systems, including: requirements gathering & definition, configuration, implementation, release management, data integrity, auditing, & maintenance. This role is intimately involved in all design, policy, & procedure development, & system training initiatives. This position will be the in-house technical expert for all enterprise applications.
The successful candidate will lead several teams that manage a variety of applications such as NetSuite & Salesforce & work alongside primary stakeholders in Finance, Marketing & Sales.
Impact Youll Own:
- Deliver strategic global leadership across the business functions.
- Ensure a robust business application roadmap is laid out to meet the business functions & requirements alongside the cross functional leadership teams.
- Partner with a variety of stakeholders including Finance, Marketing, Sales, & HR.
- Design architecturally sound solutions that keep technology debt low while adding flexibility & scalability.
- Recruit, build, motivate, inspire, & mentor a world class global applications team of business & system analysts, developers, & reporting specialists.
- Foster a strong customer centric culture.
- Manage key application & consulting vendor relationships focusing on increasing value while managing costs.
What You Bring:
- Superior written & verbal communication skills, with a specific focus on explaining technology topics clearly & to a variety of audiences with varying technical sophistication.
- Ensure Planets production environment is stable & changes to the production environment are handled according to outlined processes & practices.
- A strong working knowledge of various SDLC & CI/CD practices, concepts, & techniques including version control, user acceptance testing, & QA techniques.
- Responsible for the effective change management, communication & coordination of application releases, updates & upgrades.
- Experience driving cost reduction, automation, & mentoring staff.
- Experience with both on premise & cloud-based application implementations, & a proven ability to effectively integrate on premise & cloud-based applications.
- Ability to lead a diverse & geographically dispersed team in a constantly evolving environment.
- Ability to work with multiple project teams simultaneously & thrive in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
- Accountable for the management of the business application annual budget.
- Experience in implementing public company system reporting & compliance guidelines, governance, & audit procedures, including SOX.
- Deep knowledge of industry-standard SAAS applications: Marketo, Salesforce.com, Netsuite, Salesforce CPQ, HRIS, Big Query, Coupa, Mulesoft.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Advanced experience with identity management systems & identity federation protocols such as SAML2 & OIDC.
- Strong development experience with Python or similar languages applied in systems automation
- Public speaking, published work, & thought leadership in the information technology industry
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.