We're Away. We make thoughtful objects for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come.
Away is seeking a forward-thinking VP of Engineering to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a passionate thought-leader that is experienced with building engineering teams & processes & adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences, & technologies. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders.
The right candidate is excited to be an employee at a venture-backed lifestyle brand & is eager to take on an array of responsibilities spanning technology execution & strategy. They understand the importance of working cross-functionally & thrive in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment. This position reports to the VP, Systems & Technology, & is based out of our headquarters in SoHo, New York City.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position.
What you'll do:
- Lead, mentor & grow a team of thoughtful, passionate, collaborative engineers to help scale Away's digital presence, infrastructure, & data architecture.
- Oversee the Application Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, Data Engineering, & QA functions within the company.
- Own architectural design & engineering across all digital properties.
- Serve as a key tactical & strategic technology representative within the organization.
- Run day-to-day engineering operations using agile methodologies
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, & fellow engineers to build & plan new features for Away e-commerce.
- Further develop, iterate on, & socialize engineering best practices & standards.
- Building a team responsible for data warehousing, modeling, ETL/ELT, & data integration architecture, continuing to extend data as a strategic asset to support our mission critical reporting, analytics & data science capabilities, as well as how data flows between internal & external systems
- Establish & guide a quality assurance team to modernize & mature our systems delivery capabilities.
- Lead through others with a heavy focus on managing managers, building a team of engineering leaders, broadening & maturing engineering practices, & leading the overall engineering organization by example.
- 10+ years of engineering experience with consumer-facing web applications in a professional environment
- Technical leadership & people management experience
- A clear communicator that can reduce ambiguity & promote transparency with team members & co-workers
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- E-commerce & retail experience
- Experience with Solidus and/or Spree Commerce
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Experience managing teams with mixed in-house & remote teams
- Familiarity with data warehousing (Redshift, Snowflake) & ETL/ELT pipelines (Airflow, Spark)
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture & a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, & sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.