As Eaters Director of Audience Development, you will lead the growth, development, & understanding of Eaters audience. With a team of social media managers & analysts, youll drive audience growth & engagement across multiple social platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok), as well as inform Eaters editorial strategy through tracking & reporting of analytics & proactive sharing of insights.
WHO WE ARE
Eater, the national food publication with outlets across North America & the UK, is at the forefront of reporting on the restaurant industry, shaping food culture with its award-winning journalism & programming, & telling people where to eat with its beloved maps & guides.
Eater is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about whats now, whats next, & whats possible.
As a community of journalists & storytellers, business professionals, creators & technologists, we believe it is a moral & business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, & inclusion throughout our organization & media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, & our platforms, products, & partnerships.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Set the audience development strategy for Eater, with distinct approaches, goals, & KPIs for our different audiences & platforms (social, newsletters, etc), in partnership with editorial leadership
- Manage associate director of platforms to set strategy for each social platform & oversee creation, curation, & posting of content to social channels
- Manage associate director of analytics & operations to establish & maintain analytics reporting for editorial stakeholders, including SEO recommendations
- Guide associate directors as managers, as they oversee a team of social media managers
- Partner with editors to deliver content insights with regularity, & to identify & address specific audience growth issues
- Partner with editorial leadership to inform editorial decision-making around major tentpoles, areas of regular coverage, & long-term planning
- Partner with design director to establish & evolve Eater visual presence across platforms, particularly Instagram, aligned with each platform strategy
- Work closely with Eaters GM to ensure audience strategies & revenue opportunities are aligned & identify opportunities for growth
- Develop strategy to support consumer marketing (promotion of Eater podcasts, TV shows, & other brand initiatives) across Eater platforms
- Be a vocal leader to ensure the entire Eater team has solid understanding of Eaters audience & social strategies
- Keep up with industry trends steering platform strategies accordingly, educating leadership, communicating changes & level-setting expectations for other Eater stakeholders
WHO YOU ARE
- 6+ years of experience overseeing social media accounts & strategy, preferably in a digital news environment
- Strong writing & editing skills, attention to detail, & a journalists sense of editorial integrity
- Strong communication skills, including ability to translate analytics & patterns on social into insights & recommendations for editors
- A collaborative attitude & eagerness to work in partnership with editorial leaders
- Creativity & an journalists sensibility, in order to contribute to editorial decision-making
- A willingness to vocally advocate for the audience POV in editorial decision-making settings
- Management experience, especially training/managing younger managers
- Experience with social tools such as Parse.ly, Google Analytics, SocialFlow, & ESPs like Sailthru
- A passion for food & dining journalism is a plus
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat & see if you could be a great addition to our team. Weve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, & sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOULL WORK
While this job is remote-friendly, our ideal candidate will be based in or close to NYC. Were dedicated to the health & wellbeing of all of our employees, & when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves & create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products & services come from people with all manner of backgrounds & experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency & communication. Learn more about our values here, & our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, & how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.