As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
New York Magazine is seeking an Editorial Director for Audio to lead podcasting across its network of verticals & the print magazine. Youll bring new focus, fresh ideas, & big ambitions to our podcasts.
Youll examine our current slate of programming, which includes Vultures Good One, a forthcoming weekly Cut podcast, & Tabloid, & work with our hosts & editors to adapt those shows for the future. You will also identify what makes a New York magazine show distinctive, & guide exciting, creative ways of translating the sensibility & journalism of the magazine (print & digital, across its verticals) as we develop an ambitious & robust slate.
The ideal candidate is passionate about narrative journalism & ideas, with the expertise required to provide editorial ideas & constructive notes on stories across a range of subject areas. Looking at the current podcasting landscape, what is missing that only New York Magazine (and the Cut, & Vulture, & Intelligencer, & the Strategist, & Grub Street) can provide?
You should bring an entrepreneurial mindset; youll start with a very small team, prove creative & audience success, & then pitch new shows & opportunities.
What you'll do:
- Bring strong editorial, creative, & management leadership to our podcasting efforts, with the goal of building an ambitious & successful slate of programming. Help us become a recognizable name in podcasting, with a clearly distinctive tone.
- Develop new shows using existing New York Media talent, IP, or audience.
- Manage an audio engineer, regularly engage & work with freelancers, & grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
- Facilitate regular evaluation & feedback of shows creative strengths & growth success.
- Establish a culture of experimentation & lead evolution of show formats over time.
- Collaborate with New York journalists, show hosts, & talent & help them develop their on-air skills.
- Oversee promotions & growth strategies for podcasts, working with New Yorks social media managers & Vox Media Podcast Network marketing manager.
- Set goals for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
What you'll bring:
- Expertise in journalism & a deep understanding of what ideas & tone make something a New York story.
- Experience as the showrunner or editorial lead for a successful podcast or broadcast news program. Ideally, also some experience doing magazine-style journalism, as a writer or editor.
- Background in management, or as the leader of a team.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to delegate & prioritize effectively.
- Strong management skills & the ability to help employees grow & thrive in their work.
- A commitment to translating New Yorks unique voice to podcasting, & a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
This is a full-time position, preferably based in New York.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.