At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
The Mapping team at Lyft is tasked with building a digital representation of the physical world - a map. We collect & serve the freshest & most accurate mapping data possible, along with algorithms, models, platform services, & map-based user experiences that power Lyfts current & future transportation offerings.
Mapping represents a huge opportunity for Lyfts business, but also a big challenge. We build & scale systems that deal with large data storage, real-time data processing, machine / deep learning pipelines, routing & ETA models, driver & passenger location tracking, & more. We built beautiful & magical user experiences on top of all those services, & compete with companies that have been in the mapping business for decades.
Our engineering team is growing rapidly, & we are looking for Engineering Managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, & love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, & honest feedback. They move fast & ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles & keeping processes lean.
- Manage a rapidly growing team of engineers developing user-facing Mapping experiences
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers & assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, & respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, & recognize the individual strengths & contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical & resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects & shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams code, architecture, & processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog & create short term & long term goals
- Own your teams deliverables & ensure we continue to ship high-quality products that delight our passengers & drivers
- Help your team build relationships across functions Product, Design, User Research, Science, & others
- Bachelors, Masters in Computer Science or at least 7 years of industry experience building & shipping software
- Experience with leading software engineering teams through tough problems, growing people & shipping software
- Expertise in at least one programming language
- Experience leading a team that shipped a mobile product that people care about
- Ability to decompose complex business problems & lead a team in solving them in a fast-paced but also rigorous fashion
- Excellent communication skills
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues & hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy & safe workplace & strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance & other similar state laws & local ordinances, & its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.