Who we are
At Justworks, youll enjoy a welcoming & casual environment, great benefits, diversity + inclusion & wellness program offerings, company retreats, & the ability to interact with & learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard & care about our most prized asset - our people.
Were helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. Were data driven & never stop iterating. If youd like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful & having fun while doing it, wed love to hear from you.
As part of the Legal & Compliance team, Compliance Counsel will provide legal services to Justworks in support of various functions in the organization, including, Product, Customer Success, Marketing, Operations, Sales & Security. This role will report to the VP, Compliance & Corp. Counsel & involve working with people in different levels of the organization, formalizing processes & improving the compliance program.
What you'll do
The ideal candidate will have strong contract drafting skills & be business savvy with a firm grasp of both legal & financial concepts. This is a position that is perfect for a highly qualified lawyer looking to transition to an in-house opportunity in a high growth company.
- Negotiate commercial contracts & assist with corporate matters & transactions
- Prepare & enhance Justworks policies & standard operating procedures
- Educate stakeholders on legal matters & policies.
- Monitor & help educate internal stakeholders about changes in relevant laws, regulations & industry news that impact our business.
- Prepare & conduct training, as necessary.
- Assist VP, Compliance & Corporate Counsel with various legal matters & perform other tasks as assigned from time to time, including, assistance with development & coordination of Justworks internal compliance program
- Work with other Justworks teams, including Product, Customer Success, Operations, Marketing & Sales relating to various other legal & compliance matters;
- Supervise & manage outside counsel on relating to various matters.
- Help drive Legal & Compliance program awareness & handle other related responsibilities. Some travel is required.
Who you are
Education & Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited law school.
- A minimum of 5-6 years of substantive legal experience in general corporate matters (e.g., mergers & acquisitions) with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm
- Experience in counseling clients on labor & employment, preferred
- Experience with payroll tax and/or privacy matters a plus.
- Must possess a superior knowledge & application of contract & business law with strong legal analysis skills
- Sound judgment in managing contractual risk & exposure
- Committed to being a legal business partner to internal clients.
- Compliance certification (e.g., CCEP) and/or Six Sigma training preferred.
- Internal communications experience
- Superior written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management, organizational & analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task & meet deadlines
- A collaborative, team player with a positive attitude
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks vision is for all identities, backgrounds & expressions to be represented in the workplace. We're building the foundation for long-term success & intend to cultivate a safe, collaborative & inclusive space & company culture.
Were proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.