Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, & brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquares platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Visits. As the industrys first & only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions those that exist today & those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date, building a phones-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the role:
Please note this role can be at the Director of Engineering or Senior Director of Engineering level depending on your experience.
Leading Foursquares Visits team, you will lead an organization of several teams composed of software engineers & data scientists. Your primary responsibility will be to support the team, ensuring that they are growing in their roles & working on high-value projects. You will set the technical direction for the organization, & push the team towards a collaborative development culture & healthy technical stack.
Foursquares Visits team is responsible for inferring the real-world behaviors of millions of consumers every day. We write software & manage systems for performing geospatial analysis at scale & provide our inferences on time to internal & external customers. Foursquares Visits power location solutions for some of the worlds largest companies as well as Foursquares market-leading Targeting & Attribution products.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Grow & manage cross-functional teams of software engineers & data scientists
- Own the visits orgs technical roadmap & direction, working closely with Product Management, Program Management, Client Success, Data Engineering, & stakeholders to achieve company goals
- Lead the development of scalable & robust batch processing systems for applying machine learning algorithms for geospatial inference
- Identify & track critical diagnostic metrics for the health & growth of our core products
- Partner with engineering, product teams, & department stakeholders to drive forward broader engineering & company initiatives
- 8+ years of experience managing software engineers & engineering managers
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems & logic to both technical & non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to promote employee engagement & align teams toward company goals & vision
- Proficient in capacity planning & project management, ensuring consistent & predictable deliveries
- Experience recruiting, hiring, onboarding, & developing new team members
- Track record of reliably shipping & scaling high-quality products
- Hands-on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, testing, & operations
- Understand Hadoop processing systems like MapReduce & Spark
- Familiar with deployment process & monitoring tools
- Excellent organization, prioritization, & time management skills
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.