Who are we?
Ribbon is a first of its kind real estate technology company transforming the real estate transaction by delivering certainty, transparency & joy to the home buying process. Consumers & realtors deserve a better experience, & we have designed an open platform that welcomes everyone in the ecosystem to participate.
As members of the Ribbon team, we live out our mission every day through our core values:
- Be an invited guest to dinner - Everything we do is in the service of the customer.
- Be a (home) owner - If we see a problem, we address it head on without assuming someone else will do it.
- Break new ground - We challenge conventional wisdom to create clever solutions & break down the walls.
- Foster greatness - We grow & inspire the team around us to constantly make Ribbon better.
- Engage with intellectual humility - We become our best selves through rigorous debate & adjusting opinions based on new information.
Ribbon is looking for a Controller to join our growing team in New York. This role will lead the accounting function & partner cross-functionally to ensure that the organization consistently performs its core accounting, audit, tax, & reporting duties effectively & efficiently. The successful candidate will develop, grow & mentor a team of accounting professionals, while ensuring that the financial infrastructure is established to support & position the company for continued hyper-growth. This is a high-impact role that will offer substantial senior leadership exposure & the opportunity to drive long-term shareholder value at a hyper-growth startup.
How you'll make homeownership achievable:
- Set the Accounting functions strategy & vision to support Ribbons overall company objectives
- Direct end-to-end accounting operations, including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger management, cost accounting, revenue recognition, payroll, treasury & banking, financial & management reporting, policy & procedures, audit, & tax
- Lead & build a world-class team of accounting professionals focused on accuracy, efficiency, scale, & cross-functional partnerships
- Establish & oversee the monthly close process to issue timely & accurate financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Develop, maintain & enforce accounting controls, policies, & procedures
- Identify opportunities & implement best practices for continuous improvement, with an emphasis on leveraging technology solutions to automate manual processes
- Partner cross-functionally to provide oversight on strategic projects & initiatives impacting Accounting
- Act as the primary interface with the Companys external auditors & tax advisors to coordinate the execution of annual audits & prepare & file federal, state, & local taxes
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in a combination of public accounting & industry roles
- BA/BS in Accounting; advanced degree & CPA preferred
- Experience in a high-growth start-up environment is heavily preferred
- Strong technical accounting knowledge of GAAP, as well as demonstrated experience establishing internal controls & processes
- Track record of building & managing lean teams that drive an outsized impact
- Analytical mindset & strong communication skills, especially when it comes to explaining financial information to diverse constituencies
- Ability to think creatively & critically, & thrive in a dynamic & often ambiguous work environment
- Highly organized, collaborative, & self-motivated
- Residential real estate & / or fintech experience
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or R
Even if you dont meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply! If youd be excited to show up for work each day, wed be excited to have you on our team.
Here at Ribbon were not scared of differences. Its how we break new ground. As we scale & we help families from every walk of life, the team we build must be reflective of the diversity that we serve. Together, weve built & will continue to grow, a diverse & inclusive culture where everyone has a seat at the table & the space to be their most authentic self. Ribbon is an Equal Opportunity Employer & we support, celebrate, & cherish all the things that make our teammates who they are.