About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for a digital journalist to help us expand & deepen our relationship with our audience. The ideal candidate is a strong writer who is passionate about the topics we cover & excited about experimenting on different platforms. Were looking for someone who comes in with ideas about engaging with our readers & promoting our journalism without resorting to clickbait.
- Work on the day-to-day promotion of The Intercepts journalism on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Apple News, & other platforms
- Take initiative in engaging our audience on various networks, such as Instagram Stories, Twitter threads, & Reddit AMAs
- Moderate website comments; respond to reader feedback on social media
- Collaborate regularly with editorial, membership, visual, product, podcast, & video teams
- Train audience engagement fellows on best practices for sharing our journalism on social media
- Use analytics to make informed decisions about the best tactics for promoting our work
- Brainstorm strategies for building our presence on emerging social & mobile platforms
- At least three years of experience, preferably in a digital news environment
- Established presence on Twitter, Facebook, & at least two other social networks
- Strong writing & editing skills, detail-oriented, & ability to adhere to tight deadlines
- Excellent news judgment & commitment to the highest standards of journalism
- Impeccable grammar & knowledge of AP style
- Knowledge of SEO best practices & analytics tools, such as Parse.ly, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, and/or CrowdTangle
- Well-organized, with a strong work ethic & ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects in a fast-moving news environment
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Union."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.