SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ASSEMBLY TECHNICIAN (SWARM)
SpaceX acquired IoT satellite developer Swarm in 2021 & the team is continuing to grow. Our mission is to connect people & devices from anywhere in the world at the lowest cost.
Swarm has developed the worlds smallest two-way communication satellites. Through our constellation we provide low-bandwidth, low-cost connectivity to return data from anywhere on Earth, focusing on regions without cell or WiFi coverage. Our unique economics make Swarms network, ground hardware, & web platform accessible at the industrys lowest costs to deliver maximum value to customers. Swarm provides IoT tracking & data return services for industrial/sensor networks, particularly those in the maritime shipping, agriculture, energy, & ground transportation industries.
As an Assembly Technician on the Swarm team, you will support our leadership & engineering teams & help manage the day-to-day of our R&D & production efforts. You should be a self-starter who is organized, efficient, & enthusiastic about joining a growing startup environment.
- Proactively develop, implement, & improve production processes
- Operate & maintain PCB pick & place machine
- Build small mechanical & electrical subassemblies
- Visually inspect PCBAs through the process & correct build defects
- Organize inventory - scanning incoming parts, updating & maintaining Bill of Materials for products, & ordering required parts for on-time delivery of products
- Unbox lab items, & boxing & mailing out products to customers
- Assist with hardware builds for all of Swarms products
- Lead general lab organization & cleanups, & errands as needed
- High school degree or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of hands-on work experience in a manufacturing or testing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with PCBAs (either working in a professional assembly facility or on your own PCB projects)
- Experience with at least one of the following - running or programming a pick & place machine, inspecting PCBs, SMT hot air rework
- High attention to detail
- Experience visually inspecting SMT PCBs for build defects
- Experience with soldering & desoldering of through-hole & SMT components
- Acuity for understanding & repairing mechanical devices
- Strong Excel/Google Sheets skills with attention to detail to manage active BOMs with hundreds of components
- Proactively develop, implement, & improve production processes as an ongoing job function
- Willingness to accept a high degree of uncertainty, jump in & help wherever needed, get hands dirty, & wear multiple hats on a fast-moving team
- Self-motivated & able to work independently, quickly learn organizational structure, & demonstrate excellent time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills & enthusiasm for new tasks & challenges
- Both 1st shift & 2nd shift hours are available
- Nominal hours for 1st shift are 6:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Nominal hours for 2nd shift are 4:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.