The Director of External Communications is responsible for driving Taniums global PR/media & social media strategy to evangelize Taniums unique value proposition & market position. The ideal candidate has strong & respected relationships with the media, particularly in technology & finance; historical success building & mentoring a team; experience managing multiple agencies and/or consultants simultaneously; & the ability to constantly context switch in a high-pressure environment. As the external face of the company, the Director of External Communications will partner closely with Tanium leadership & key internal/external stakeholder groups to drive awareness in the market.
This role is fully remote within the United States.
What youll do:
- Develop & execute Taniums external communications strategy inclusive of efforts across: PR, media, editorial/thought leadership, social media, spokesperson development, & online reputation management.
- Maintain a regular cadence of press releases & media alerts (corporate, product, case study, partner, award, etc.) to keep Tanium top of mind with customers, press, analysts, partners between major product launches. This includes developing outreach campaigns on industry trends & salient media coverage that position the company, & executives, as thought leaders around such topics.
- Lead a global internal team & manage external public relations agencies. Budget responsibility required.
- Own & refine the companys crisis management & rapid response capabilities. Manage stakeholders involved, educate cross-functional teams, & operationalize the process for responding to high priority/impact events.
- Leverage relationships with key media outlets & reporters to drive awareness for Taniums value proposition, industry thought leadership & executive profiles. Coordinate press interviews at conferences & trade shows.
Were looking for someone with:
- Minimum & preferred job qualifications:
- BA/BS or equivalent industry experience
- 10+ years of experience in public relations/corporate communications, including direct experience working with a variety of media, such as print, digital, broadcast
- Expert capabilities in spoken & written communications, media relations/agency management, message development, & reputation management
- Strong, respected relationships with press/reporters, media
- Demonstrated experience managing high-pressure crisis situations, & operating effectively in ambiguity
- Experience managing a global team & budget
- Agency & client-side experience strongly preferred
- Enterprise technology communications experience required; growth-stage/pre-IPO start-up experience preferred
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Core competencies
- Highly collaborative
- Creative & innovative
- Process- & metrics-driven
- Exceptional writer & communicator
- Tanium competencies
- Demonstrates initiative & motivation
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Team player
- Person of high ethics & integrity
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
Tanium offers an endpoint management & security platform built for the worlds most demanding IT environments. Many of the worlds largest & most sophisticated organizations including nearly half of the Fortune 100, top retailers & financial institutions, & multiple branches of the U.S. Armed Forces rely on Tanium to make confident decisions, operate efficiently, & remain resilient against disruption. Tanium has been named to the Forbes Cloud 100 list of Top 100 Private Companies in Cloud Computing for five consecutive years & ranks 4th on FORTUNEs list of the Best Workplaces in Technology 2020.
On a mission. Together.
At Tanium, we are stewards of a culture that emphasizes the importance of collaboration, respect, & diversity. In our pursuit of revolutionizing the way some of the largest enterprises & governments in the world solve their most difficult IT challenges, we are strengthened by our unique perspectives & by our collective actions.
We are an organization with stakeholders around the world & its imperative that the diversity of our customers & communities is reflected internally in our team members. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where everyone feels they have opportunities to succeed & grow because we know that only together can we do great things.
Taking care of our team members
Each of our team members has 5 days set aside as volunteer time off (VTO) to contribute to the communities they live in & give back to the causes they care about most.