Backend Systems is the core of the Betterment platform. On a busy day, we need to securely move millions of dollars through the Betterment system. At the same time, every transaction must flow through a complicated series of risk checks to ensure strict regulatory compliance.Every ounce of efficiency & intelligence we pour into this system translates into more value for our customers. Were looking for engineers to help us answer some of our most difficult backend scaling, software design, & optimization questions.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build innovative trading & money-movement technology that empowers people to make the most of their money, so they can live better
- Solveimpossibleproblems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & figure out how to make Betterments revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time & money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, & lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. Were a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. Were smart, innovative, energetic, & lots of fun.
You will answer questions like:
- How can we increase the efficiency of our systems by 10x while scaling our daily transactions by 10x over the same period?
- How can we use the history of our customer transactions to predict & prevent future fraud attempts?
- What code patterns & testing approaches do we need to guarantee that we never, ever fail in an unexpected or undefined way?
- How do we evolve the architecture & the orchestration & inspection of all of our running processes to increase transparency?
- How do we go all-in on cloud infrastructure whileincreasingdata security & privacy for our customers?
You will be effective if you have:
- 2+ years of professional expertise in at least one object oriented language, such as Java, C#, C++, Ruby, or Python. You know the list. We build our apps in Java.
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms & data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Know that investing in developing solid tests pays for itself several times over
- Appreciate agility & pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you will use:
Java, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services, Linux
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.