Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are seeking an Instructor Manager. This person will be responsible for our part-time instructors & courses with a focus on hiring, training, coaching, & day-to-day management. The Instructor Manager is a crucial role - this person is responsible for managing & coaching our best-in-class practitioners from a variety of fields including data science, software development & design. Proper onboarding & training of instructors is crucial. Most importantly, the instructor manager must always remember that our instructors are changing lives in the classroom each day: this is both an exciting & difficult challenge. Thus, being an empathetic leader is key to the success of this role.
- Oversee courses (10-12+ at any given time) including instructional quality, student orientation, student experience, & successful completion
- Managing course & immersive instructors including hiring, onboarding, training, & coaching
- Conduct regular evaluations of instructional quality for each part-time course
- Facilitate successful completion of all online & in-person instructor training for new instructors
- Manage professional behavior, retention & ongoing professional development & growth of each instructional positions
- Be the second line of defense for student learning issues; be responsible for mediating conflict & defusing challenging situations in a positive, empathetic & professional manner
- Work with instructors to strategize solutions for students who have unique learning needs, including the creation of student support plans or IEPs.
- Monitor & manage course quality & progress by regularly reviewing exit tickets & student surveys; formulate action plans based on data
- Participate in globals meetings with instructional counterparts across markets
Skills & Qualifications:
- Proficient in instructional best practices such as lesson planning, differentiation, assessments, student data analysis, & the creation of strong classroom climates
- A former educator ideally with 2+ years of in higher ed (adult learning) or K-12 (experience in school leadership is a plus), & can relate to instructors as a practitioner
- Able to confidently give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional & personal backgrounds.
- Highly organized & able to help manage observation, videos, & other performance documentation.
- A growth mindset attitude towards teaching as a craft
- High emotional intelligence; an ability to empathize with others
- Prior experience managing multiple people or teams
- Familiarity with or subject matter expertise in one or more of the disciplines we teach
- Developing direct reports & others
- Managing & measuring work
- Motivating others
- Command skills