At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals & support our national expansion.
Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where its needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills & industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, & become the next generation of leaders in tech.
Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, & JPMorgan Chase, & increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, & communities across the nation. Read about our work in the New York Times: Income Before: $18,000. After: $85,000. Does Tiny Nonprofit Hold a Key to the Middle Class?
About the Role
The Program Lead, Student Learning & Development will be responsible for leading the design & delivery of the professional (non-technical) training of the Pursuit Fellowship. This role will be responsible for ensuring that all participants complete the Core training with the right mindset, professional skills (e.g. teamwork, communication), & tech fluency required for long-term career success as a developer. In addition, the Program Lead, Student Learning & Development will help establish the appropriate policies for cohort-wide, class-wide, & 1:1 interventions to further a best in class culture & community within Pursuit.
The Program Lead, Student Learning & Development will split their time between developing strategy & working directly with Fellows. Prior success with people management, & an understanding of data-driven impact are essential for this position, as is a familiarity with the tech ecosystem & an interest in coaching & mentoring individuals from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Program Development & Delivery
- In partnership with Curriculum Lead, Career Coach, Volunteer Manager & Industry Volunteers, design & deliver lessons to Fellows on non-technical curricular components, experiences, & policies to meet program standards & outcomes around:
- Professional Skills: the content to support Fellow understanding & growth around teamwork, growth mindset, goal-setting, & accountability.
- Tech Fluency: the networking opportunities & experiences that will contribute to fellows social capital & ability to integrate successfully into tech teams/organizations.
- Culture: a professional culture that reinforces Pursuit values & prepares Fellows for jobs in the tech industry.
- Community: a thriving & engaged community through core & after graduation.
- Support development & implementation of Pursuit Mentorship.
- Project manage major milestone events based on Pursuit playbook/guidelines (Orientation, Launch Week, Hackathon, Tech Showcase, Capstone).
- Fellow Culture & Accountability
- Deliver best in class operational excellence to the Pursuit fellows, with focus on driving through outcomes/KPIs, clear communication & accountability, successful project & meeting management.
- Create policies & culture that supports & motivates fellows towards successful outcomes.
- Advise on curriculum design to ensure alignment with culture & accountability goals.
- Serve as a point of escalation as needed for disciplinary interventions.
- People Management
- Manage Career Coach & Program Ops Associate to drive professional outcomes critical for long-term success & short-term placement outcomes, as well as overall engagement & cohort culture.
- Recruit, hire, & onboard non-technical program staff as needed, & create professional development opportunities.
- Familiarity with the tech industry, VCs, & product management
- Prior people management experience, ability to manage managers
- Forward-thinking & able to think across different disciplines
- Able to work under tight deadlines & under pressure to achieve goals
- Able to work independently on complex problems
- Exceptional project management & follow-through skills
- Able to communicate precisely & effectively, both verbally & in written form
- Ability to ask the right questions towards developing analytical tools & dashboards tied to outcomes
- Prior experience in a tech startup/working with engineers a plus
- Prior experience in a school leadership role (dean/vp/instructional lead) a plus
*Job will require some nights & weekends work & may require managing roles during your off-hours.
Pursuit HQ are located in Long Island City, Queens, but our office is currently closed in accordance to state-mandates regarding Covid-19 safety. Staff is working remotely until further notice.
Our Values & Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as One Big Team, supporting one another & ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members & volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral & ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work & immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency & deep commitment to our students, to our community, & to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, & because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- & we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, & care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, & thank them by delivering outcomes to each & every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We cant manage anything we cant measure. Data & analysis give definition & ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact & improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity & the faith in whats possible. Our work is about beating the odds & overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, & vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, & a fun & active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, & fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.