About the Role
Harrys is looking for a Temporary Brand Strategist to cover a parental leave on the Harrys Ventures team. We are specifically looking for someone to work full-time through the end of 2019 (approximately 4-5 months).
As the Brand Strategist, you will work collaboratively with the Ventures team as we seek to identify, evaluate & invest in 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year with exciting consumer, market & product opportunities. We need a passionate brand strategist to ensure the brands we build or buy are positioned to be distinct, ownable & meaningful to consumers.
The specific mandate of the Brand Strategist will vary by brand & investment opportunity, as some ideas & businesses are sourced externally while some are built from the ground up within Harrys. You will work collaboratively with the VP, Ventures to recommend a cross functional brand development plan that typically includes milestones such as: insights gathering (brand, consumer, culture), brand territory exploration, & brand concept testing. He/she will take ownership over developing and/or distilling these insights & sharing recommendations that shape Venture team hypothesis around a category, consumer and/or brand opportunity, culminating in the development of potential brand territories. He/she will work collaboratively with the Ventures team to ensure that his/her work integrates in real time with Ventures investment diligence findings, & that key brand development needs, learnings & recommendations are seamlessly integrated into broader investment evaluation & brand development. Once an opportunity has been approved for investment, he/she will own the brand positioning & create the brand brief that will serve as the foundational narrative of what the brand is, who its for, why it exists & what it will take to bring it to life. The brief will also include initial brand development tools (e.g., the brand ladder & personality guardrails).
We want an experienced brand strategist in this role who is excited about building innovative, consumer-centric brands that will disrupt large categories within consumer packaged goods. We need someone whos excited to work across multiple market segments & can creatively determine how to best answer nuanced questions about brand opportunities & ideas. We need someone who can also think highly strategically, look around corners, make sound decisions & provide clear & compelling, insight-driven brand recommendations to our Ventures team despite imperfect information. We also want someone who can go from the creative big idea world of territories to the highly tactical details of testing & building a brand & who will roll up his/her sleeves to just get stuff done. And, most of all we want a great collaborator who can work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders, synthesize a variety of information, & drive to clear & thoughtful investment recommendations that maximize the likelihood of success of the Ventures team & our new brands.
Beyond the opportunity to work with great people, this role provides a unique opportunity to be part of a team that will drive the discovery & launch phases of new brands. You will work alongside experienced entrepreneurs & executives during initial stages of founding innovative new CPG brands powered by the experience & resources of Harrys
What you will accomplish:
- Work in partnership with the VP, Harrys Ventures to develop & position insight-led, highly innovative brands, leveraging the teams & your own diligence & taking a bespoke approach to each opportunity
- Serve as brand expert on the Ventures team & Harrys leadership as we assess investment opportunities & build new brands/businesses, ensuring our value propositions are distinct, ownable & always improve the consumer experience & journey in the category
- Support investment evaluation efforts by effectively translating brand-related insights into actionable business recommendations, including Product/R&D roadmaps
- Own the development of new brand positioning & product/pricing decisions with insights that drive consumer-centric competitive advantage via efficacy, convenience, value, and/or accessibility
- Selectively engage with Harrys Ventures team to define brand optimization and/or repositioning needs in later stage opportunities
This should describe you:
- A Bachelors degree; graduate degree is a plus
- 5-10 years of brand strategy experience including experience working on consumer/CPG brands or within a consumer/CPG company. Thrives with brand positioning, but experience leading brand strategy to drive innovation a plus
- Experienced brand strategy leader with broad & deep knowledge across the brand positioning & development toolkit including qualitative research techniques, actionable insight synthesis, brand territory development & testing, & brand brief/narrative development
- Always focused on driving insights into business recommendations across brand positioning & creative, product merchandising & innovation, marketing channels & execution
- Skilled brand storyteller You are comfortable weaving together disparate sources of information into a holistic story with strong recommendations based on market trends & consumer facts
- Creatively strategic - You bring a unique way of uncovering opportunities & confidently communicate your creative ideas, but are always grounded in insight & truth
- Unwaveringly objective You represent the voice of the consumer in all situations, especially when learning is counter to initial hypotheses or prior learning
- You geek out on the idea of uncovering hard to decipher insights that unlock new business & product opportunities that will surprise & delight consumers
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, passionate about learning about new categories & new businesses in the CPG space
- Team Oriented: You are highly collaborative & able to quickly establish credibility within the team to impact decisions through both formal & informal influence
- Problem-Solver: Is sought to help break down problems & brainstorm solutions for the trickiest ones.
- Resilient: Almost always displays resilience & unwavering focus, regardless of any hiccups, roadblocks or failures they might encounter
- Innovative & Scrappy: Pushes themselves & others to take risks & try new things, when appropriate, that could surprise & delight our team or customers. Ability to be scrappy & creative with resources to maximize business impact.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the VP, Harrys Ventures
- On-boarded by current Brand Strategy lead (for approximately 2 months)
- You will work on the Harrys Ventures team, a small team dedicated to identifying & launching leading next generation CPG brands
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.