We founded ShelfLife to empower innovators and makers behind our favorite food and beverage brands with the resources they need to bring new products to market. To do that, we're creating the first marketplace for ingredients and packaging materials (think ingredients like juice concentrates and malt, or materials like cans and bottles) and developing software that makes it easy for brands to discover, manage, and order from their suppliers. We're reshaping a $150B industry - bringing transparency and simplicity to a massively overlooked space.
The best part is: we're just getting started! You'll be working alongside a small team as an early employee, so there is a lot of opportunity to grow with us.
About the Role:
You'll be working with our CTO and first engineer to build out the ShelfLife platform. Our tech stack is Ruby/Rails/Stimulus/PostgreSQL/Redis hosted on Heroku. We're a lean team, so you should be comfortable working across the stack as well as engaging in some light product work to define the requirements for your projects.
You should be able to work independently and see projects through from planning to release. This may involve talking to customers in addition to our other engineering and business teammates to help set priorities and figure out where best to leverage our technical expertise.
This role is located in NYC - we believe our team will work best at this early stage with everyone working together in the same location most of the time (we work in office three days a week).
What You Bring
- Five or more years experience as a software engineer
- Comfort working across the stack, from infrastructure to browser, including general best practices
- A thoughtful approach to the craft of software development, including an eye towards maintainability, quality, and reliability
- A strong desire for learning and improving your skills
- Ability to lead projects, likely with at least one other engineer assisting, from planning through release
- An understanding of the tradeoffs between doing it right and doing it quickly and when each approach makes sense
- Customer-focused approach to solving problems - we don't have a future if we aren't solving actual customer problems!
How We Work
- We are all owners. It's a small team and there's an endless list of things to do. Pick the most important and run with it.
- We stay curious. We are always experimenting and see failures as learning opportunities.
- We treat one another with respect and empathy. We celebrate our unique strengths and what we each bring to the team.
- We believe work should be fun. We enjoy what we do. This is a unique opportunity to create a company culture that we love being a part of!
What We Offer
- Employer-paid Medical, Dental, Vision, & Life Insurance
- Competitive parental leave and return to work policy
- Learning and development stipend
- Flexible time off
- Food & drink discovery budget