Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is growing. And our marketing team is growing with itwe need an experienced Senior Copywriter to support our marketing & product teams. Youll be an integral part of the Marketing department, reporting to the head of marketing & working in our NYC office.
What youll do:
- Manage & develop a Junior Copywriter & hire freelance copywriters as needed
- Craft engaging, strategic copy across a wide range of marketing & product projects, including landing pages, paid ads, emails, product & feature launches, video, press releases, & more.
- Establish a consistent Codecademy voice that extends to all products, features, & marketing communications.
- Create a style guide that establishes principles for how to apply the brand voice & tone to different forms of copy, e.g. UX copy, ad copy, email copy, product copy, & conversion copy.
- Collaborate with Product Marketer on user research, positioning, & messaging
- Work with Growth team to design copy tests & iteratively test & optimize messaging on landing pages, interstitials, & other touch points across site.
- Collaborate closely with Design to conceptualize your copy within a visual framework.
- Establish & maintain a process with marketing, product, & design for new copy deliverables & edits.
What you'll need:
- 6-7 years of experience copywriting for both marketing & product
- A strong portfolio of work that shows proficiency in writing for a variety of project types, mediums, & audiences.
- Proven track record of driving conversion & business results through copy
- Experience working with cross-functional teams & establishing processes
- Experience using marketing analytics & testing tools such as Optimize, HotJar, UserTesting.com, etc.
- Experience conducting or leveraging past user research to inform copy content & tone
- Strong writing & grammar skills, with obsession attention to detail. You can self-edit your own work.
- Equal parts creative writer & strategic thinker. You can experiment with your writing style while staying on brief.
- Strong time-management & organization skills. Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously & meet deadlines.
- An allergy to marketing-speak & corporate jargon.
- Passionate about teaching the world to code
Nice to have:
- Programming knowledge & familiarity with technical terms (great if you know how to code because you will be communicating about programming languages & software engineering career paths)
- Degree in English or Communications
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.