The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams are looking for experienced & passionate software & systems engineers who have backgrounds in programming, distributed systems, & networking to help in ensuring that customers around the world can access Squarespace sites, that they load quickly, & that all of the features work. We work together with the product teams to maintain the reliability of our features that are backed by a fleet of microservices, with the infrastructure teams to grow our current data centers & build new ones, with the data teams to tackle challenging big data issues, & the security teams to keep a close eye on the latest vulnerabilities & protect our product, infrastructure & networks.
The Compute team is specifically responsible for designing the systems that allow us to operate on our data centers & evolve the massive Squarespace software engine that serves millions of users worldwide. We build tools for the provisioning of compute capacity on top of VMware, Kubernetes clusters or public clouds. We build & maintain developer tools for quickly deploying software to our Kubernetes & VM clusters. We run & automate the orchestration of Ceph storage clusters backing our microservices at the scale of multiple petabytes per cluster.
We firmly believe in the SRE philosophy of applying software engineering methodologies to operational tasks. We communicate reliability with SLOs & know that if you cant measure it, you cant improve it. We create self-healing & self-orchestrating systems, including services that automatically fix Kubernetes node problems, network mesh monitoring services, & VM migration orchestration systems. We operate multiple physical data centers & leverage this fact to our great advantage, with the ability to control every part of the entire stack, from the actual hardware characteristics & network architecture all the way to the edge that our customers communicate with. You will report to the team lead in NYC.
- Own internal services like Kubernetes & Ceph clusters, create microservices like authentication providers & load balancers, product-related services like our deployment pipeline, & everything in between.
- Write high-quality infrastructure-as-code that automates the provisioning, deployment, scaling, & monitoring of Squarespaces infrastructure & ensure that it is redundant & fast around the globe.
- Share our globally distributed on-call rotation & be an escalation point to assess complex problems in real-time across any of our high-traffic software systems.
- Collaborate with a team of experienced engineers to test your ideas & understand the system, & mentor junior team members.
- Deep experience managing large-scale software & distributed systems in *nix environments.
- An understanding of & experience with web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices.
- Understand database design, storage, caching, scalability, & network fundamentals.
- 5+ years of experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus.
- 5+ years of experience with Ceph or other storage clusters is a big plus.
- BS, or MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.