Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely & sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science & digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
At Virta, you will build & lead the legal department while overseeing commercial contracting, corporate governance, & compliance with health care regulation & privacy laws. You will play a critical role in establishing a commercially-oriented culture in the legal team that works collaboratively with the rest of the organization to help Virta safely grow & achieve its mission.
- Provide expert & strategic legal counsel & guidance to the leadership team
- Build & lead the legal department at Virta
- Establish process & procedures to handle rapidly growing commercial contract demands
- Proactively ensure that Virta structures operations to address all applicable privacy & regulatory requirements.
- Support the team across other practice areas, including employment, vendor contracting, intellectual property, telemedicine, investor relations, etc.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Take over the current process for commercial contracting & evaluate what is working, what is not, & what will be needed to scale over the next 12-24 months
- Determine what additional resources are needed for the teams short-term success & begin the process of getting those in place.
- Evaluate our privacy, compliance & regulatory programs & begin to take remedial action if necessary.
- Articulate problem solver with knowledge of health benefit plans, healthcare & privacy regulations, including corporate practice of medicine, telemedicine, fraud & abuse rules, HIPAA, & state privacy laws.
- Experience building & leading legal teams in complex organizations through periods of rapid growth & change.
- Ability to take a strategic view of the business & carefully weigh all of the risks it faces against the opportunities that each would prevent.
- Significant experience supporting enterprise sales, marketing, & customer experience teams, including managing a high volume of employer & health plan customer contracts, supporting RFP submissions, & responding to customer regulatory, compliance & privacy requirements.
- Experience providing legal support to a physician group operating in a multi-state telemedicine practice
- Licensed in any state, & eligible to be licensed in California under the in-house licensure requirements
Virtas company values drive our culture, so youll do well if:
- You put people first & take care of yourself, your peers, & our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership & take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego & understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency & promote trust & empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based & prioritize data & science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks & rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security & privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security & privacy training will be provided.