ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
TheSkimm is looking for an experienced Senior Editor to help lead content development initiatives. Youll be working under a Managing Editor to help brainstorm, plan, & execute, & write new editorial content across all of theSkimms platforms. This role is for someone whos interested in working on the editorial side of the business across multiple platforms & teams. Its a role for someone who is looking for a new challenge every day, & is able to balance multiple projects at once. This is not a role for someone interested in a personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Helping develop, plan, & executive new, multi-platform content projects, including: theSkimms 2020 political campaign, events series, & editorial partnerships
- Writing internal communications in theSkimms voice around new content initiatives
- Communicating & managing new content plans to the rest of the editorial team
- Working closely with sales, product, & marketing teams as we launch personal finance products & platforms & a political campaign for 2020
- Helping to manage the editorial side of all partnerships, including first passes at writing content
- Supporting creative content strategy for all new projects at the company
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs experience in writing & 2+ yrs experience in editing
- Project management experience
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Previous experience coaching more junior team members & working collaboratively across departments
- Previous experience writing & editing content on a short deadline
- Experience in a fast paced environment, with an ability to anticipate & respond quickly to change
- Strong understanding of the social & digital video landscape
- Experience working on a team with various projects being developed at once
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.