Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africas most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, & Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andelas business needs.As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks & complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, & complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify & suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity & deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow & scale as an organization.
Youre the kind of person who:
- Truly understands the DevOps culture & practices; & can be champion for this within the organization
- Builds solutions & does not become the solution (automation)*
- Thinks long-term incremental evolution, in sync with the industry practices & innovation
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, & performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning & expanding your skill sets on & off the job.
- Promote infrastructure best practices like security, release management, monitoring
- Design infrastructure that is resilient, secure & highly available
- Facilitate the building & releasing of features by engineering team
- Take part in building a secure & highly available platform
- Build tools & processes that increase the productivity of other engineers & ensure an efficient release pipeline
- Support & collaborate with other engineers building on top of the platform
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andelas internal systems
- Promote & nurture good team practices such as TDD, system security, code reviews, & pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas & approaches
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Heres an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Node.js with TypeScript
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, NATS messaging system, Kubernetes,Terraform, Vault
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Solid foundation in Linux administration & troubleshooting
- Experience with system scripting languages like Bash, Python or Golang
- Experience with Docker & container orchestration tools like Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm
- Deeply familiar with concepts like DevOps, Continuous Delivery & TDD
- Experience with working with tools like Terraforms, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience with at least one major cloud provider
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Solid written & verbal communication
- Experience with system automation
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience building large-scale & highly available distributed systems
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe youre a good fit & well be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch & snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, & a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.