About this Role
Join the team at Fandom & work with great people (fans! Star Wars, Twin Peaks, RPG games). As a Staff Software Engineer, working on our data systems, you will help us to determine what 300M+ users are passionate about by contributing to the design & development of a real-time digital profile. The digital profiles that you help create will serve as the foundation for data science-driven user personas & personalized recommendations across the platform, at scale, & in real-time. You will own high impact parts of the system from inception to production while ensuring the quality & scalability of your systems.
You will also help us to determine what 32M+ user-created pages are focused on, how they connect to the Fandom community they belong to, as well as the other pages of the 400k+ communities in our network. With this knowledge, you will enable Fandom to build the rich digital profiles mentioned above to build deeper & more engaging experiences for our users.
While working at Fandom, your contributions will be wide-ranging. On some days youll be writing code to ingest data from 3rd party sources & connect that to our internal data stores. On others, youll be creating high throughput data ingestion pipelines to enable real time digital profiles. You might also find yourself translating experimental data science code written in Python into production systems operating at scale. You will be actively involved in sharing your knowledge & expertise across the company through documentation, informal training sessions, & mentoring. There will also be days where you are advising engineering leadership on strategic direction & actively contributing to the planning process.
- Create, extend, & maintain scalable systems written in Java, Python, Go, & PHP
- Provide technical leadership on high impact projects that impact multiple teams
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction & planning for your team
- Help to enrich Fandoms structured data with internal & external data sources
- Write (Not only) SQL queries that run production, user-facing systems, or extract data from our data warehouse
- Delivers clean, maintainable, well-structured, well-tested, well-performing & documented code
- Help to translate experimental data science concepts into production systems operating at scale
- Design & develop networked services, & provide hands-on assistance to other teams integrating these services
- Share knowledge through documentation, pull request comments, & mentoring
- Develop & refactor software with an emphasis on quality, simplicity, & maintainability
- Work effectively with a globally distributed team
- Learn new technologies, patterns, & processes as needed
- Ensure a high level of quality in your teams deliverables
- Actively cross team boundaries to solve technical issues
- Provide mentorship to your team & knowledge & advice to other teams in your areas of expertise
- Take ownership of high impact projects from inception to production
- BA/BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- 5-8+ years of experience in software engineering
- Proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Java, Python, or Golang
- Experience designing & implementing object-oriented systems
- Relational database design & SQL experience
- NoSQL database design & experience. Experience with relational vs NoSQL design tradeoffs
- Expert level understanding of RESTful API, architectures, design, & implementation
- Track record of delivering high-quality technical solutions on platforms with a large user base
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Training based on business needs
- Flexible working hours
- Open, energetic & fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as wellness programs, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, & celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or whats buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge & carefully curated & fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users & encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & its grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, & deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, & the work we do.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Police Code, Article 49
New York Fair Chance Act