About the role: You serve as the culinary nuts-and-bolts in our restaurants while managing & staying accountable for your team of culinarians. As an extremely efficient individual with a passion for executing food excellence & hospitality, you run a strong kitchen by showcasing advanced business & culinary acumen. In our high-volume operation, you are always looking at food quality, cost, & training as data-points for you & your team to grow.
Staying organized & detail-oriented in a fast paced environment is key to your role as Chef de Cuisine. We have a unique model where seasonal menu rollouts (or as we call them, Harvest Days) happen bimonthly. You will effectively multitask & train your culinary team through the day-to-day curation of an educational journey, which blends into our culture. Developing your team by role modeling while delivering excellent service to our guests is integral as we work towards a better food future.
About the team: Our restaurant teams are evolving within the structure of our inspired version of the fine-dining kitchen brigade. With direct reports from your executive sous chef & your chefs in training team, you will report to your chef operator & collaborate with a field chef from our culinary team. The restaurant teams provide our guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal.
- Be responsible for kitchen culture & best practices
- Lead your chef's in training team while delivering delicious food & great fiscal results
- Serve as a reference point for the entire kitchen team for questions on recipes, food specifics, & food quality
- Achieve & maintain the "A" letter grade from the Health Department, holding your team accountable & role-modeling cleanliness from your tactics organizing the kitchen & all stations
- Manage our kitchen, following up with all maintenance on culinary equipment, cleanliness, & organization of your restaurant
- Manage financials & collaborate with your Chef Operator to manage labor & food cost
- Build your kitchen team by interviewing, hiring, providing performance improvement, & disciplinary action
- Monitor & uphold food quality & presentation
- Evaluate our marketing line, measuring whats ready to serve, what needs to be prepared, & any potential waste
- Ensure the kitchen is set up for success with all tasks completed on time
- Implement food preparation tactics that maximize efficiencies in your kitchen
- Maintain a tight & orderly kitchen, including storage, labeling, preparation, & all safety protocols
- Actively give feedback, monitoring the effectiveness of your team by providing timely positive & critical feedback
- Go home feeling fulfilled
- 2+ years managing a team of culinarians
- The ability to demonstrate & execute an exceedingly strong work ethic
- Skills to motivate & develop the culinarians on your team
- An appreciation for the people you work with
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs)
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves & pitch in whenever necessary
- The desire for professional improvement & the process of learning
- The drive to network & build strong ties in your restaurants community
- The ability to take many variables to find the best solution to a problem
- Excellent communication skills
- An eye for detail & solving challenges
- A desire for growth within our brigade
- Food Safety Certification
- Strong leadership skills
- A passion for real, good food
Future Assignment: There is a tasting component included in the final-stages of our interview journey.
Work Perks: Aside from the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary Dig Inn lunch everyday
Dig Inn is a farm-to-table food company with over 20 locations in New York & the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables & culinary comfort food on an urban scale.
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity & ambitious innovation, finding & implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, & farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our missionbuilding kitchens, training chefs, & developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities & use the platform weve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, & the business of food.
And did we mention free Dig Inn for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
Dig Inn believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.